Which HDTV do you have and why?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TJR, big difference between phones and TV's I would hope.

I did check with a TV repair place and they said that although they do see a number of Samsungs, they were the easiest to fix and the worst of all to deal with is Sony. This is NOT an authorized repair place, so that may be why. By the way, the place was FILLED with DLP and rear-projection screen HDTV's. I would not even consider one of them now.

My overall impression of Sony TV's is that they were king, but have rested on their laurels. Lots of brands have caught up or passed them in the last few years.

Dave,

If you go to a factory authorized servicer, the brands of TV's they don't see are probably the brands that they are not a factory authorized servicer?? I don't see how that is going to help you select a good, reliable TV.

I have had my best luck with some of the cheapest TV's including an old Montgomery Wards Signature 27" color TV that I kept for about 10 years. Gave it to my daughter who used it for another 5-6 years before it finally died.

About all you can do is go by the experts reviews and the reviews of customers who own them. The problem with that is you are only getting reviews of the TV's image quality when new and when they are brand new and not after years of use. So that does nothing to guarantee reliability. Consider that most TV's and electronic equipment only come with a 1 year warrantee, and since most defective electronic devices will fail early in their life, I always run my new electronic equipment for several days, non-stop to ensure that any early component failure will be covered under warranty. I also buy on my American Express card which double you warranty on anything you buy, so that's a pretty good backup plan.

doctorcad,

I agree others who do not want to be Brand Snobs. The TV ratings I quoted were given by Experts and by people who own and reviewed these sets. Samsung, Panasonic, LG, and Sony were all ranked in the top 10 LCD HDTV's. I personally don't care for Sony because of they don't last long in my house, and they are/were much more expensive to repair than most other brands. Earlier CRT sets used Trinitron CRT's and of course the Picture tube would be the thing that failed. Repairs were expensive because much of the electronis is in the Trinitron picture tube.

It doesn't matter who makes the TV. If it works, and you like the picture, then that's all that matters.

It does not sound like you have done much research into who the top brands are now, and are simply relying on the quality of products produced years ago. For years, Japan was the world leader in quality electronics and automobiles, but the Koreans have made some huge leaps in both the electronic and automotive fields and most of them are geared for the American market.

In a world where almost everything has become disposable, why is it necessary to pay a high price for something that may not last much if any longer than the cheaper one.

wow, lots of "under-educated about HDTV" posts here.

Number one is that LG has ever made anything good.

LG is Gold Star from Korea, the same people that brought us the $8 toasters and $59 microwaves a few years ago. Now they make quality TV's???

LED is only for the backlight.

LCD (even at 60 hz) will do sports just fine. Lots of people that get 120 hz or even 240 hz sets turn it off quickly because it looks "funny". Lots of people say plasma is best for sports, but I watch hockey and its fine on LCD.

LCD typically work better than plasmas in direct light, but only because LCD's have matte screens and plasmas have high gloss screens. Even that is changing. If they had matte screens on plasmas when I bought my Samsung, I would have bought one.

SD will suck on any HDTV, get used to it.

I based my decision on actual experiance. I SAW each TV before I decided to purchase. The 60hz was vastly inferior when gaming. It left trails behind the movement and they looked like crap.

I chose LG because I've had many LG computer components and their products have been awesome. Especially their monitors and gaming mouse units. I've had and still have LG keyboards, computer surround sound systems and their web cameras. They have left a great impression on me.

I, and thousands of other people, do not feel they are cheap crap regardless of their country of origin. Same with Samsung. I shopped reviews for the model I was interested in, as well as other model LGs so I could get a feeling for their overall brand quality. I wouldn't be suprised if Samsung and LG share some common corporate heritage because they seem to be very similar in terms of consumer satisfaction and product quality. Based on actual consumer reports.

I'm very satisfied with my purchase and my TV looks awesome. Even on cable channels that are not HD. The aspect ratio was a little messed up but we spent a little time messing with settings and everything looks awesome.

From CNET online The top 5 LCD TV's

More Resources

Best 5 HDTVs, Top flat-panel LCD HDTVs, Six things to know about 120Hz, CNET's HDTV World Product name

Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR4

Samsung LN-T4681F

Samsung LN-T4671F

Samsung LN-T4665F

Toshiba Regza 52LX177

Sharp AQUOS LC-52D64U

Price $1,799.00 $1,099.95 $1,049.95 to $2,299.00 $849.95 to $1,999.89 $1,299.95 $1,399.00 to $1,999.00

Don't see a single LG on there.

Not my list.

Top 5 what? Best selling, highest quality report...what makes them on the top? You can push any model to the top with a good enough deal, even if it's not the "best". How were they selected? Were they reviewed new from CNET or are they actual consumer report and consumer rated that CNET is simply reporting on?

I also believe that we were talking about the top 10, not top 5.

I don't get the issue with LG. They're proven, well designed and well priced products. There are many box stores and private electronic stores in my area that recommend LG with Samsung as the top dogs in consumer electronics.

A $60 toaster shouldn't have bearing on a LED LCD TV's quality.

Just like Sony TVs. Have you ever seen the reviews on Sony's mobile entertainment products? They are the laughing stock of the aftermarket audio industry. That doesn't mean that they make bad TVs does it?

I dunno where my buddy got his TV from. But The higher the Refresher Rate the better the pic --- TO MY LIKING. It makes most movies look like soap operas... I know that sounds weird but it's true and I dig it cause it looks like it's being preformed by a theater group in the living room. Wish I could provide the make and model... but Refresher Rate was what made the difference.

doctorcad,

I took the time to go to the CNET website and I also included the link. I don't find any list that even looks like your list of top LCD HDTV Brands.

Sony only ranked higher than LG in a couple of screen sizes. The lists are nearly completely dominated by Samsung, and Panasonic with a few LG's and a few Sonys

I specifically included their list of Best LCD TV's and it does not match your list since the best Sony did was 8th. You will also notice that LG was 3rd

The Best overall list shows the Sony as 10th and the LG as 5th

The Best Picture Quality does not show a Sony or an LG since they only showed 5 brands

But don't take my word for it, go to the attached link and see for yourself...And don't try to say that CNET doesn't know anything about TV's, since they were the source that you used in your previous post!

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/

Best LCD TVs

Samsung UNB8500 series

Samsung UNB8000 series

LG LH90 series

Samsung LNB750 series

Samsung UNB7000 series

Vizio VF551XVT

Samsung UNB6000 series

Sony KDL-XBR9 series

Samsung LNB650 series

LG LH50 series

Best HDTVs overall

Samsung UNB8500 series

Panasonic TC-PV10 series

Samsung PNB850/860 series

Samsung UNB8000 series

LG LH90 series

Samsung PNB650 series

Samsung LNB750 series

Samsung UNB7000 series

Panasonic TC-PG10 series

Sony KDL-55XBR8

Best 5 HDTVs: Picture quality

Samsung UNB8500 series

Panasonic TC-PV10 series

Panasonic TC-PG10 series

Samsung PNB650 series

Samsung LNB750 series

...Rich

TJR- Just a coincidence that the Japanese people would "downplay" Samsung and LG product? More like "national pride". Would they do the same regarding Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi, etc.? Don't think so. Why? Because they're Japanese companies.

Last I heard, LG and Samsung were both South Korean manufacturers. Even heard one being referred to as the "General Electric of South Korea".

P.S- Hope nobody misinterprets this as "racist" or prejudiced, I am half Japanese and half Korean. LOL

doctorcad- Goldstar sold the branding many years ago, hence the LG initials, meaning, "Lucky Goldstar". Admit they made nothing but crap back then. Things change.

LG designed and engineered, "The Freemont Street Experience", in downtown Las Vegas, NV. The world's LARGEST LED display. The canopy alone, used 12 million lamps at a cost of 17 million dollars. "High tech", IMO. Wouldn't call their home appliances "low end", by any means, either. More like "upper tier". (Washers, Dryers, Split A/C, etc.) Nice stuff.

I remember a time when Denon, Japan's oldest audio company, was making "compact" all in one stereos, with the record player on top. Real "Lo-Fi". Probably the most prominent and diverse AUDIO company in the world today. Denon started in the commercial industry, designing and manufacturing professional studio broadcasting and recording equipment.

They are almost soley responsible for Digital Audio Technology, as we know it, today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gavin,

It's OK. We never stop learning. I also hope you learned that Sony Bravia does not clean all clocks, but it does well in some screen sizes. The Samsung's are the dominant LCD HDTV's in almost every category, so it's Samsung's that are cleaning nearly everybody's clocks.

...Rich

Gavin's quote: "I always thought LG stood for "Low Grade".

There you go, "thinking" again. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
WELL so i could put some input haha since i work at best buy

plasma, 1080p, 600hz

SUPER SICK!!!! beautiful picture and awesome for sports and gaming and anything wit alot of fast motion, deepest colors as far as darks and are just beautiful

LED, 120-240hz, 1080p

Beautiful picture, more so the best of both worlds when it comes to tvs

less glare than the plasma tvs but great colors and yes it saves energy... but to be 100% honest u probably wont notice a difference... um however an LED is still an LCD just instead of useing bulbs that go from one side to the other... it uses LED

LCD, 120-240hz,1080p

Eh, ok, some have poor viewing angles. biggest pro, less glare that the plasma

dude for the money, plasma is cheaper, u have no worries bout burn ins or anything along those lines, no u dont need a plasma recharge kit :lol:, and they will give you best for sports and such...

if not the plasma for whatever reason, go with the LED

if you have more questions dude, im around tvs about everyday id be happy to answer any questions you have through email or here...

dont forget the HD provided and HDMI cables!!!!

Although I do go to CNet alot to research items I have decided that they are definitely not the end all be all experts on electronics. I compare them to movie critics, they have their opinions on what they like to see and that's what they base reviews on.

Doctorcad, I travel alot which means I spend alot of time in restaurants and lounges to eat and relax. I have seen many different types of HDTVs and alot of different programming. LG may be a so called bottom of the line item but I have seen alot of them in my travels and the picture they produce is pretty darn good. I have been impressed myself and I own a Panasonic and a Samsung.

As I said before it comes down to personal preference and for me the plasma has a much crisper picture than LCD.

plasma will always have a more crisp picture because its refresh rate its about 400x faster than anything an LED or LCD is able to do which allows it to be better with fast motion.

and yes, samsung makes AMAZING tvs

but like AdrnlnRush said, everyones eyes are different soooooo the tv i love might just be the least favorite to you...

Latest posts