Which HDTV do you have and why?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went in to Best Buy tonight just to educate myself on the different types of HDTV's out there. I was leaning toward LCD, but after talking to one of the Panasonic reps that was there, and one of the Best Buy people I am now leaning toward plasma or LED/LCD. The store rep. said that the LED/LCD use 40% less power which would be very good for our energy bill. I am looking at a resolution of 1080 and 120 Hz. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Rodger- Respectfully, if it were any other member, I may have reservations.

Power consumption aside, throw the "specs" out the window. You don't see or hear them.

The BEST audio equipment made to this day, use vacuum tube technology.(Circa Edison)

Bottom line. Specs are numbers. "Digital" was a term people interpreted as "better" than analog. Advantages, yes.

Better, NOT necessarily. Use YOUR own eyes and ears making decisions. YOU have to live, watch, and listen with your choice.

P.S.- MY personal choice has been PLASMA from the start. Why? LOOK at the picture. Regardless of the source. Slam-Dunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of those debates that never end but here is my 2 cents. When I got my first HDTV I spents hours on the computer researching the biggest thing I came away with was an understanding of the options and features.

As Steve said the way to choose os to actually go and look at the pictures. I have a plasma that is in my den and a an LCD in the Family room. The picture on the Plasma is by far a better picture. The black levels are so much better thanthe LCD.

As far as the LED/LCD my personal opinion is that it is just another over priced new technology that really doesn't provide an advantage worth the money.

I just bought a Panasonic 32" LCD. The reason I bought this model is that is has an SD memory card slot, so I can take the card out of my camera and view my digital pictures on the TV. I can use the TV remote to step through the pictures.

The price is now $20 less than I paid just about a month ago. Pretty good deal.

If you can go to another store and look at the tv's again...preferably a store where the tv viewing area isn't dark..it will make a huge difference. I have to agree with swshawaii, throw the specs out the window, pick the one that looks best to you and meets your needs and don't go to big, really looks horrible when people buy a huge tv for a small room.

BTW I have an lcd

I have 50" Pioneer Elite III Plasma inmy living room and a 52" Sony Bravia LCD in my bedroom.

My neighbor works for Myer-Emco so I let him choose my what HDTVs I should buy. I have no complaints.

52" Sony Bravia LCD. I searched & researched. Picked it up at Best Buy last year. It has picture in a picture, a load of inputs plus you can also connect a PC to it so it can work as a monitor. (I love to play Quake on it). This is an awesome TV!

After you read reviews and specs, the next step is to compare actual pictures in person. Make sure you look at the picture from an angle.

What I found is Plasma TV are cheaper & have a crisper picture but have 2 cons. They generate a lot more heat and they work best in a room with lower ambient light. The LCD works best in a well lit room.

So you have to look at the location of your TV. If you find that during the day, you turn on the light in the room then Plasma may be your best bet. The blacks are darker but if you are putting it in a bright room then LCD is your huckleberry.

I like my SONY Bravia LCD as far as picture, price and reliability(so far). I looked at all the pictures and priced the ones I liked in my price range and picked the SONY. There were others that fit the criteria for me but since I've always had good luck with SONY, I went with them. I don't read specs pretty much. Good luck...

Sony XBR9, 46". Amazing picture and with the 240hz refresh rate, the motion is seamless. I checked all around, read the reviews on the internet, looked at it at Best Buy, Rands and 6th Avenue electronics. BB wouldn't budge on thier price(see ya) 6th doesn't do service directly. So Rands got the deal and I saved over $600 from BB price. :cool:

Great input guys. As everyone knows, to each their own and the old cliche', "garbage in, garbage out". Unbelievable the confusion regarding flat panel technologies, ten years later.

I have been in the A/V biz since '78, and no customer questions, surprise me. E.G.- Plasma TV's require "refilling" of gas, don't last long, can't be turned on their sides because of leakage, etc. (No wonder "Circus City" deep sixed, fired their best personnel) Plasma panels are only available from 42" and larger. As a GENERAL rule, your optimum viewing distance should be DOUBLE the screens diagonal measurement. (50" = 8.33 feet) Great buyers market for ANYTHING now, electronics notwithstanding. Sears has a Panasonic 54" Plasma @ $1099 today, minimum 2 per store. (I don't work for Sears/Kmart) Cheers !

Thanks for everyone's input. I am leaning towards a LED/LCD HD TV because of its much lower power consumption, and picture quality rivals that of plasma. I am going to do some more comparison though, and won't make a decision for a couple of weeks (after we get paid on the 1st of Dec.).

Latest posts