Where should I move???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
Every place has some sort of downfall it seems. Here is some of the places we have considered: Pocatello Idaho, Prescott Arizona, Kingsport TN, Fort Collins CO, Redding CA, Springfield MO. Whats wrong with these places? It's either too much snow, High cost of living, Humidity, lack of scenery, vehicle inspections, too big, too small & on & on. What would be ideal? A town of between 20,000 and 100,000 without high humidity in the summer, without months and months of incapacitating snowfalls, and mountains close enough that you can see them from town. Not asking much am I?:D

I love the photos of Ft. Collins for example but it looks like it snows 7-8 months of the year & possibly heavy snow at that. Same goes for Pocatello. Prescott is growing too fast & the housing is high. Tennessee is probably too humid for me, Redding? dunno. Springfield? I'm afraid it looks too much like Kansas. I probably just bi#ch too much ;), for example: It's 88 degrees today with 50% humidity and It feels kinda muggy to me. When it snows & the roads are covered with ice & slush I swear its my last winter here, I hate the flat land with no scenery, but I love the cheaper houses, No strict regulations on automobiles etc. I'm hoping some of you might have some more suggestions. BTW, I realize I'm not going to find a "perfect" place that fits all my criteria. I'm just trying to get "close" Thanks.

I grew up in Pocatello, it's a nice small town and gets snow but never more than a foot.

For nice-year-round weather... Carpentaria California was probably the best place I ever lived. It's about 10 minutes south of Santa Barbara California. It on the coast, right on highway 1. Housing is expensive, but the payscale makes up for it.

jeff

I like Northern Ca. But, you may not like some or many of the vehicle restrictions and housing is somewhat inflated.

How did you determine your city list?

Reno,NV?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try looking in the Canon City, Colorado area. It is scenic, near mountains, has a small-town atmosphere, housing is inexpensive, and it is near a big city (Colorado Springs), Because it is on the eastern slope of the Rockies, it is dryer and warmer than Kansas, plus the mountains also reduce the chance of tornadoes. Snows on the front range can be heavy at times, but normally melt away within a day or two because of the chinook winds. The Colorado Springs area receives over 300 days of sunshine a year, so it will be a big improvement over Kansas.

Thanks for the fast responses folks:)

Me: I had looked into a place called Boone North Carolina--I'll check it out a bit more.

jgbackes: Is there snowfall during a large portion of the year though?

check the snowfall graph.

Also what are your social needs, such as dining, dancing, etc.?

Last edited by a moderator:
have u considered moving to oregon, the williamate valley gets little snow , but sits at the base of the cascades, pretty moderate spenditures for housing, no sales tax, only property tax, and u can register your vehicle for under 100 for 2 years. It mightbe worth considering.

Duece

Boone, NC is nice during the summer, no need for AC. There is snow during the winter, not incapacitating amounts though. College town, Appalachian State is there.

Asheville, NC.

Mt. Airy, NC. Hardly any snow the last couple of winters, but does get hot and humid at times.

How about the Lexington, KY area. We moved here last year from Ca. because of the high prices. You can find houses from $39K to $1.5m in the area. We live in Danville, just outside of Lexington. Check the houses on eBay. They have listings for just about every state. That is where we found our house. We have an extra visitors room available if you are interested.

I think that S.W. Oregon would be a good choice. Just check their rainfall data as that area does not get much, if any, snow fall. You would want to be inland away from the coast, although drop dead gorgeous, it has a lot more moisture than you might want. Check out the Eugene area.

Grew up in Colorado. I think you'd be surprised to find out how mild the winters are on the frontrange. Really no worse than Northern Virginia. Has more sunshine than just about anywhere. Never humid by East coast standards. And lots of mountains and public access to some of the most beautiful places in the world.

Basically in Florida and near any of the coasts, the housing costs are getting out of sight. Here in western PA a decent house can be had for under $100k and a really nice place for $200k or less. There is a lot to see and do, plus golf, but then there is winter, which sucks.

I was born and raised in Lexington, KY. I know that city, and though it is cheap compared to California (I've lived there as well), it is not affordable IMO because the average wage is too low for the cost of living. Finding a house for under $150,000 in a safe neighborhood would be very difficult.

In addition, the city has hot, humid summers, and cold, wet winters. They have major traffic issues during rush hour, especially on the southside.

I love Lexington, because it is my home town and because my parents and grandmother live there, but I only recommend it as a place to visit -- not live. I will be visiting Lexington from 2-9 June, so I can give you an update if any of these things have improved. :)

In the meantime, check out the local Herald-Leader newspaper at Kentucky.com. The paper itself is no better than the Weekly World News for news, but it does have good Real Estate information.