When to replace battery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an 02 Trac with the original battery. I have no problems with it currently but don't want to get stranded. I have 49K on the trac and live in Ptiisburgh PA, so I do get some pretty cold weather from time to time.

When does everyone change their batteries?

When does everyone change their batteries?

Usually when they get stuck...

Your battery is 6 years old, time to change it before you get stranded. If you don't the first really cold morning you may be for an unwelcomed surprise...

my '02 has orig battery, at 139000 miles... If you take care of it, and it doesn't go dead too often (i.e. leave the lights on) , then it will last a while. Mine may get a new one b-4 winter, tho...

I know there are several threads on what batteries to buy here, but can someone do a short, priortized list of what to get please? The best / most expensive at the top, working down to acceptable or "best buy" levels. I tried jumping between threads re. Optima, OEM, Die Hard, etc.

I use whatever the Advance Auto house battery is, in Gold. Only reason I go for the gold is because of the longer replacement warranty, as I've gone through about 3 batteries in the past 2 years or so.

Optima is good only if you plan on a) running offroad at odd angles, b) have a lot of accessories that you plan on running with the truck turned off, or c) feel like wasting your money on a battery you don't really need. Most people buy them because of C), they feel they have to have them because everyone else has them, or they have a few lights that they only use once a month, and even then, the vehicle is still running.

My '04 needed a battery last thanksgiving. Slugish turning over. Even after full charge.I had all kinds of electrical gremlins. Put a AZ duralast gold in it. Strange thing is my dad has the original in his '01 mercury marquis. It load tests good..:blink:

My 04 had 82K miles when my factory battery died. Was sudden. It started just fine and I drove 1/2 mile to the gas station. Went to leave and nothing, nada, dead as a door nail. I was thinking about it a week earlier that it was time to change the battery before I got stuck somewhere. Good thing I was close to home. But, can't really complain because I've never had a car battery last over four years. Bought the Autozone Duralast Gold.

I run the battery to failure.

I replace them after the first time I have to jump start and it won't hold a charge from a servicable alternator. I do check the alt to make sure it's OK.

I got 119k out of the original battery in my '02 (and that's with Wisconsin winters).

I replaced my '03 battery last fall. Started to turn over slow, and since I didn't want to get stranded, I just replaced it...

I also have an 02 with the original and live in NE (80k). Although I don't have any issues, I think that I am going to replace it this fall because my parking situation away from my house has changed from garage to outside parking. I don't want to come out of work when its 10 and have it not turn over. Piece of mind I guess.

Changed out my 02's battery last winter. It wasn't dead yet but I was getting worried. Even though it's harder to crank in the winter, they say the heat is a batteries worse enemy and it gets plenty of that here in Texas.

Even though it's harder to crank in the winter, they say the heat is a batteries worse enemy and it gets plenty of that here in Texas.

I have read that the batteries are damaged from the heat, but the problems do not present themselves until the winter.

Tom

My 04 battery was replaced about 60K now at 86K

My 03 still has the original battery at 68K

Paul's 01 battery was still good at 140K miles in 07 when he installed the optima...

Georges 02 with 50K was going strong when he installed the optima last year also..

I Wait till I hear something that is not right, then I test it... IF it is still good it stays in....

Todd Z

I have read that the batteries are damaged from the heat, but the problems do not present themselves until the winter.

Exactly.... Batteries cook during the hot summer months but problems don't present themselves until the winter when more CCA's are needed for the cold engine starts.

I bought my ST in July 2000, have got a little over 69,000 miles and I still have the original battery. I will have it tested this fall though.

Latest posts