when painting cladding

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan Darbyshire

Reaction score
im about to paint my silver cladding black on my black 03 st, what are the steps for making he cladding a nice smooth shiny black, not textured and dull. So it will perfectly match the rest of the truck.

follow the project on painting your cladding. I did it and it looks great. you could always try a glossy exterior paint instead of the bumper black that the project suggests. but the textured look that the cladding already has will always be there.

Woppy must not have heard from members here who have primed, sanded, primed, sanded...rinse and repeat, until filling in all the nooks and crannies and making smooth the pebble finish of the cladding. Many here have done it, though I don't know if it is described in a project or not.

TJR

No sanding needed....

I simply used automotive PPG paint and after 6 coats, the texture was gone....

Spray cans will NOT get rid of the texture...

And I personally have not seen any one that sanded it where it came out perfect..

Todd Z

VSKATE MAKE SURE YOUR ARE VERY VERY VERY DEDICATED TO DOING THIS, this will take a very long time, but very VERY worth it.

Ok 1st gather materials;

SAND PAPER (FOR the DA)

80 grit

180 grit

320 grit

400 grit (not for DA WET/DRY)

TOOLS;

orbital sander (6")

base gun (1.3 needle)

Clear gun (1.4)

primer gun (1.8)

tape

paper

hand tools

ADHESION PROMOTER FOR PLASTIC PIECES.

OK remover rear bumper and side skirts, then tape off the front end of truck where the bumper is, and plastic the rest.

SAND all the texture off of the plastic pieces with 80, once they are gone, sand the pieces again with 180 making sure the 80 scratches are out, then 320 it, clean the pieces off with water and soap, then wax and grease remover, spray 2 coats of the adhesion promoter, and primer the pieces, once they have dried, wet sand with 400 grit, and then paint them what ever color you'de like.

pending on how you paint they should come out shiny and smooooooth. and of course the smoothness with depend on how much texture you have sanded off and smoothed.

I did this in a professional shop by myself and it took me a week to get all the texture off.

I sprayed no orange peel/dry spray and all texture is off. looks just like the rest of the truck.

pics in library.

oh and i also used ppg base but used southern polyurethane clear and 2k surface primer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did this in a professional shop by myself and it took me a week to get all the texture off.

Not to tick any one off, but my front and rear cladding was painted on 1 saturday.... No sanding at all...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts