Wheel noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Reaction score
For several weeks now, I've been hearing a clicking sound coming from my front driver's side wheel. Only shows up while backing or turning right.

Took my truck today to Ford and found out it's the friggin plastic wheel cover. They said it's glued to the wheel and when you press around the rim, you can hear the clicking sound. They said nothing can be done about it and that there is some TSB written on it. So, I have to either live with the clicking sound or buy another wheel at the cost of $400 something.

Anyway, live and let learn......I will never buy another car/truck with those friggin plastic wheel covers.

If you have a set of those on your truck and you start hearing a clicking sound coming from one of your wheels, you might be having the same issues.

Thx Bill, but I don't know how I'd be able to squeeze the stuff between the wheel and the cover....it's pretty tight around the rim of the plastic cover and the wheel.

Remember when the auto industry invented the plastic chrome grills? Now it is plastic wheels. What will they think of next..:banghead:

And they charge an arm and a leg for this plastic stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife's Dodge Ram has the same thing. I didn't look closely enough at the shiny "chrome" wheels to see they were close-fitting non-removable plastic covers. All I can think is when they get scratched, there's no way to buff it out!

And at 48 lbs apiece, they are heavy! The weight and the plastic chrome face make me want to replace them with nice shiny new Centerlines, at 25-28 lbs apiece.

True.......that works too as long as I have the windows rolled up or I could just move the wheel to the passenger rear and not notice it anymore.

Latest posts