Wheel Backspacing difference between ST 16 and Explorer 16?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becker69 CO

Reaction score
I know it's a random question, but I am trying to find out if there is a difference between the offset on an OEM 16x7 Sport Trac wheel (most significantly the 5 spokes on the 01's) and the tear drop or similar 16x7 OEM Explorer alloys.

I know the common off-the-cuff answer would be "NO there isn't a difference" although I know the Sport Trac has at least body-wise a wider stance albeit with the same (or interchangeable) IFS set-up, Tie-rods, CV's, and 8.8. In addition, the exact 16x7 ST wheels I am referring to were only offered on the Sport and ST (although, I know the 4-door Ex body style changed in 01 as well). In addition, the ST came with higher rated torsion bars and other minor underpinning differences. Personally, I think they are different but I can't find consistent stampings off of the wheels I am trying to compare

So... does anyone know?? TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Becker

now I speak of Gen 1'st ( not 07)

The bolt pattern is the same, BUT the back spacing is different, The Regular 4 door explorer rims will not work on the st with out spacers..

Hope this helps

Todd Z

Thanks, Todd .... I probably should have used the term backspacing in my original post as this term is more descriptive of my question :). I'm not sure I understand correctly. So it seems that the ST wheels I mentioned have a higher # of backspacing (ie I've read the ST's are 4.5" backspacing vs. 3.25" or whatever for the regular Ex wheels) which would mean the ST 5 spokes will move the wheel out further from the truck than the Explorer 16x7's?

This is good news to me and this jives with your note that one would need spacers on the ST.

Here is a link that I've read before and didn't fully understand till now.

FYI; I was told by an guy that my truck would need spacers to run 285 75 16's on the stock 16x7's and I disagreed although I hadn't really worked it out till now. I'm trying to guestimate how different my truck will be going from 15x8's with 3.75" backspacing and 32x11.50x15's to the OEM 16x7's on the 285's with NO spacers in the front or rear.

Thanks Todd Z!! :)

The '01+ Explorer wheels have more backspacing, although the bolt pattern is the same. Pre-'01 Explorer plus Explorer Sport and Ranger wheels are the same.

My Sport Trac has the same wheels as my sister's '99 Explorer.

[Broken External Image]:

Best pic I could find of the '02 Ranger I had before with 5 spoke wheels. These look like late model Explorer wheels but would have the correct offset for a Sport Trac.

[Broken External Image]:

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
It pushes the center of the tire IN to the vehicle, Thus spacers are needed to push it back out....

I have 275/70/16 on my 04 and they do slightly rub in turns and the back inner fender plastic needed to be slightly cut...

I don't think I would push the 285 with a stock height truck.....

Todd Z

Thanks for the help, insight and pictures. I have the TT in the front and shackles in the rear, so I think I should just be able to clear the 285 75's and be ok with the suspension at full cycle (although I will finally have to adjust my bump stops). Thanks again.

I have 265/75-16's and they rub the rear inner fenders even with the shackles. Also the 90* bend at the end of the front swaybar stays clean. :D

I never hear the rubbing though, so it doesn't bother me.

Johnny, I'm surprised your 265's rub the rear inner fenders (I'm assuming just the black plastic inners?). The 11.50's I currently run only rub if I'm wheelin' and they're at full stuff - though my 15's must help them pull away from the body. You should post a pic of your 05, as I see your posts on EF but haven't seen your truck. :)

Latest posts