What transmission do I have?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
So looking around on Rockauto.com I see 2 different trans filters 5R55 or 6R60. What do I need? 2008 AWD V8.

Also what is everyone using for a transmission pan drain I put one in my 2001 and it worked ok I always had to use teflon tape on the threads when ever I would do a drain. I think I got it at autozone, it was just a big bolt with a smaller bolt in it. It worked ok but coulda been better. I might make my own and use a bolt and drill it out and put a pipe plug in it.

Also I remember people talking about filling the 2nd gen. being a PITA.

with the v8 you have the 6R80.

I swapped out the pan with a PML pan, a few of the pictures on that site are from my install.. Extra capacity, better cooling, and a magnetic drain plug included.

As close to a build sheet you will find. Click "minor features" in fine print.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2008 STA 2wd with the 6R60. Pretty sure that's what you've got too. Wikipedia entry shows 6R80 starting in model year 2009 for Explorer. The 5R55 is paired with the V6 engine.

The best trans drain plugs I have used. Are the one offered by B&M trans parts. They come tapped 1/4" npt.

I couldnt find one when I did my trac. So I used what advance had. Machine thread with o-ring. It leaked. So I re-tapped it to 1/8" npt. Slow drain compared to the B&M.

Catch what you dump and measure it. I helped a member with his gen2 trac. Used a funnell and a long peice of old 1/2" garden hose put the same amount back in it. Drove it got it hot. Unscrewed the cap on top of where the dip tube used to be. The 1/2" garden hose is a perfect fit. There is a small dip stick under the cap. We had to add about 1/3 qt more, cause of spillage of the old fluid.

His is an '07 V8. We installed a drain and he changed it again after a couple hundred miles. Just measure what you dump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pan and filter services I have done on the V8 took about 7.5 Qts.

It has a dip stick attached to a PLUG like a lawnmower? Is there any way to retrofit that with a regular dipstick and tube?

Latest posts