What to do???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Cook

Reaction score
Well I guess I can't let this go any longer. I've posted before in the past about the rear end in my 03 sport trac 4x2 (4:10 limited slip) making a ton of noise when I'm on the gas...Now it's screaming when I let off too!! I was looking online to find some salvage yard pricing for a previosly used unit when I stumbled into one of those complaint sites and learned how common this problem really is. I'm afraid to spend the $150-$250 it would cost to get one out of the junkyard...could add up if I get a couple bad ones. Does anyone OTHER THAN THE DEALER offer something new or remanufactured with a good warranty? My next question might be a little crazy so don't laugh too hard. My Trac is two wheel drive and it gets hard to get around here in PA in the winter...Would it be totally insane to consider a locker? Would it make any positive difference in a 4x2...or would it just push me around in a straight line?! lol I've already seen lockers here online for like $700 but how much would it take to put something like that in?? I don't know what to do here people...any advice would be greatly appreciated.:smile0013:

You can remove the limited slip and upgrade to a powertrax diff for about 350-400 or so. I bought mine off of summit racing through ebay. I would Highly recommend this diff as it is more durable and provides better traction than stock.

-Don D.

a255e8d3205453044af09fa5c3e4c28d.jpg

here is a member project of how to install powertrax:

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a locker for half of 700 bux, shop around, even if you need A new gearset and a complete rebuild, around here your looking at around 800 bux, with a locker.

People may not believe it but auto shops are also getting killed in this economy, the once $90 and hr shop rate is very negotiable.

I also have the PT, easy install on your back.

Also ck out the aussie locker, but with the noise you describe you have other issues that need to be addressed before installing a locker IMO.

Thanks for the help guys...appreciate the links. Bill B. I hear ya. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but this is an area that I've never ventured. I don't know know what I'm looking at but I think you're talkin about the ring and pinion gears right? I also read that some bearing is to blame in some of these cases I was reading about earlier. So I'm looking at a total rebuild...I need to price a new ring and pinion set and then decide what "guts" I want? Am I getting this right?

A whining noise on decell is most of the time ring and pinion, brought about by other componant failures.

3 weeks ago I had my 3:55s in the stang switched to 4:10s, the gearset, setup, sealkit, was 525 out the door, yours may also need bearings.

The aussie was not out when i installed the PT, i hear great things about the Aussie, exact same principle as the PT, love my PT.

Do not do snow but would bet it is a far site better than what you have now.

Would think you could have the entire program done (if you need ring and pinion) for 800 bux enc the locker, but your RP are most likly toast.

I used ford racing gears, generic gears by a well known company will serve you well, ck richmond gear.They will be far less costly.

the mustang shop here:

ring/pinion/fluid/seals/brgs will run you about $500 installed with 12/12 warrenty....

if you want a LS or need spider gears it is more...... you can rebuild your OEM LSD.... I happen to have the clutch kit here to do it..

Todd Z

I've been running like this for quite some time Bill. For the last 30,000 miles, the noise was only when I was touched the gas (gradually getting louder over time). I changed the gear oil and friction modifier about 6-8,000 miles ago. Just yesterday it began making the same noise when I get off the gas...I just wonder how much time I have left before it just gives up on me??? I wish those jackasses at the ford dealer would've been honest with me before the damned warranty ran out!

:smile0003:

your not going to have a catasthrophic failure, will just get worse, how long you keeping the trac? wrecking yard may be a good hit on the cheap, the 8.8s 99 % of the time are good for alot of miles, find a nice wrecked streeter, keep away from offroad types that have seen water, good luck.

How much for you to do a house call in Gettysburg, PA Todd Z ??? lol I gotta get some sleep...early day tomorrow. I'll post tomorrow when I can get my head straight. Thanks for all the help...all of you.

If you lived closer to Pittsburgh I'd help you install a new set but That's abit far for me to venture being unemployed and all.:smile0010:

Jerry, I am sure he will cover gas for you to help him .......

your in the same state.... :smile0014:

Todd Z

Lol! That's funny JERRY G. the step daughter goes to Point Park University! She is getting a ride back to school with friends otherwise I'd be banging on your door! I apreciate you offering but I still have to decide what route I want to take with this(rebuild or junkyard). Sorry to hear about the job situation. Layed off or looking for a job? Just curious don't answer if too personal.

TODD Z I do all my work on the ground outside...no garage! It really sucks when all my friends know that ...and won't return my calls! LOL! I couldn't put JERRY G. through that...Pay for him to come out and lay on my ice covered gravel driveway! LOL!

I live on the northside on Pittsburgh, just about three miles form Point Park College. I was layed off and then let go last April. Had a couple jobs since then but got screwed by all of them over pay, etc.. I build custom cars and trucks with the club I'm in and work on cars/trucks on the side but it's not going so well with nobody having any money and I too have a gravel driveway at the new house. Got a call today from a company that I've had three interviews withrigth before the holidays, waiting for corporate to get back to them saying they saw my application. Driving local since my wife doesn't want me going back Over The Road. can't wait until spring time though this cold sucks!!!!:smile0004::smile0003:

I hear ya Jerry! I too hated being over the road! I drive for a fabrication/ Industrial service company (building and installing conveyors, pipe welding installation etc...) It's local, pays well,and I'm their ONLY truck driver! That's kinda why I was curious what your story was...you know as well as I do you can ALWAYS find a job if you have your CDLs. Many of my friends have been layed off or let go ( some from Harley Davidson York, PA) and I convinced a couple of them to go to trucking schools. I was honest with them about how much it sucks getting started but they have seen how easy it has been for me to find jobs in the past and how well I was paid as a result of my experience. Good luck with the other jobs but it sure is nice to have those CDLs to fall back on. Things get much worse with this economy your wife may have to bite the bullet and send you back over the road! lol! I'll cross my fingers for ya brother!

You live in a better area for trucking, Pittsburgh sucks but over there on that side of the state it's booming. With Carlisle right there and everything else trucking wise you're in heaven for jobs.:smile0006:

Latest posts