what should i do

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok i have a 2001 4x4 trac with 98555 miles on it i have replaced pretty much everything under the front end and now my timing chain is rattlin like crazy and shop says motor got to come out for this fix now i'm pretty inclined when it comes to workin on my truck but i know nothin of fixin this. so would you fix it and keep it or sale and find something else newer with less miles. o by the way i just got this truck 9 months ago.

What is causing the rattle?

Ford has run the 4.0L SOHC engine without tensioners on it and found no problems with it.

If it were my vehicle, I would drive it until it dies.

Tom

guy at shop says it the rear timing chain or tensioners making the noise. i cant stand the noise when cranking it when its cold. sounds as if its fallin apart. i planned on takin it to texas pullin a 16 ft trailer and two atvs but since this has gotten bad i think im gonna leave it home.

as caymen says: drive it till it dies, but would be a bitch hauling a 16 ft trailer and two ATVs, when it dies, and it is about to do so.

so is the tensioner whats causing my rattle of is it the whole timin chain assembly? does the motor have to come out to change tensioner?

Never looked at it myself, but I understand one is on the front of the engine and one is on the back. But the tensioners apparently can be changed without removing the engine. Do a recent search of the forum for timing chain and do some reading.

also my oil preasure guage is slow to jump to the normal position when i first crank it, is this related to my rattle problem or maybe a bad oil filter

Brandon, the 01 had a bad oil sending unit, that will fix that issue...

Todd Z

As I said, Ford has run the 4.0L SOHC engine without tensioners installed and they had no adverse effects. It run fine, but made noise.

Drive it until it dies. Don't get yourself all worked up about it.

Tom

well i drive 130 miles a day to get to work and back home so i don't wanna be left on the side of the road. Todd Z how much was the oil sending unit and where is it located on the trac

Oil sender...If not, Go with Tom's adivce. Drive it until it dies...

How about that ladies and Gents....an 01 ready to die...Alan Mulally...did you hear that????

DIDN'T think so...

How about that ladies and Gents....an 01 ready to die...Alan Mulally...did you hear that????

How about an 01 that makes noise and the owner is worried about it. I have already said this twice and I will say it again.

Ford has ran some 4.0L SOHC engines without tensioners installed and there was NO TROUBLE with the engine because of it.

Tom

truck runs fine hate the noise want the noise gone reason for this thread my truck sounds like a pile of junk when cranking i want the rattlin gone a truck is not supposed to do this and be called normal

Does it only do it when starting and the first few seconds? Do you have a Job 1 or Job 2 01 Trac?

Tom

If it only makes it when / just after cranking, don't be worried. The rear timing chain is the last in a long list of things that oil runs to. Seeing as the weather is a bit colder the oil will be thicker and therefore take even longer to reach the rear timing chain. Hence, the noise. Honestly wouldn't worry about it but thats just me and it is your truck after all.

Brandon do you know any trained mechanic friends who do work on the side? Whenever I need something done that I cant handle I look for a real trained mechanic who needs a little extra cash and will work from his home. Be vary wary however of the mechanic guy who thinks he knows more than he really does. There's a million of those guys out there that will just make things far worse. I have gotten a lot of good deals on very expensive jobs because the mechanic just had a baby or bought a new house. LOL

Latest posts