What parts of the new car warranty will be voided by adding these?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Well im now considering doing some mods to my new '06 ranger... The problem is i dont want to completely void or void part of the new warranty that i may still need. The first would be replacing the stock speakers with aftermarket ones.. for now i will run them off the stock head unit. Will i void my head unit/alternator, etc warranty if i add speakers? and what aobut if i add an amp? will that ruin my entire electrical warranty??? Next would be a kn drop in filter or cai...If i add either of them does that void the engine warranty? and the final is an xcal...If i run that i believe its undetectable, correct? if not, will it void my warranty??

Thanks

Andy

I think that you will hear overhelmingly that nothing will completely void your warranty. They have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem, then it will only include the damaged part.

Our Ford dealer has tried to not cover some items but when I remind them that the aftermarket part had nothing to do with the problem, they quickly back off.

speakers/amp won't really void anything. If HU goes bad, in theory, they could blame the speakers. That would be if they knew they were changed. I doubt this would ever happen. Amp won't/shouldn't effect anything unless you were to wire incorrectly and short the battery. Unlikely, but that would be worst case scenario.

Filter/cai would be at the dealers discretion. Shouldn't effect anything but if the dealer/service dept. are not necessarily public friendly they'll use this as an excuse and blame the part. The drop in is 50 state approved (I believe) so that shouldn't matter.

Xcal2, just reset the tune to stock when the ranger goes to the shop and you're fine. DO NOT take it in without returning the tune to stock. This can screw up the pcm if they try to do an update and it's not stock.

On the other hand, I've been fortunate enough that dealers still honor my 3/36K warranty and haven't hassled me about my aftermarket intake and exhaust. And I've been serviced by them several times now. Luck of the draw may be a factor as well.

Simply put is this. If you have a CAI on your vehicle and the power window motor fails, they can not void your warranty. If you have speakers installed and your engine blows, they can not void your warranty. If your MAF fails because it is covered with filter oil from the filter, they can void your warranty.

As for the XCal. As others have said, always flash back to stock before taking it to the dealer.

Tom

You will have to do a drop K&N as of right now they do not make a cai for the 05 to 07 rangers.

HMM..... Throttle body mod ??? :)

Todd Z

What about the recent install of the Magnaflow?? Is adding this system in any way going to screw with our warranty? Thanks,,,,,,,Mark

Any Air filter that requires oiling like the K&N filters has the potential to put an oily coating ont the MAF sensor wires. This can easily be removed with some electrical contact cleaner spray, however if you take it to a typical Ford dealer they will want to replace the MAF and that would not be covered under the warranty.

The cannot cancel your warranty because you have an after market filter. That is guaranteed under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1974.

The sticky part comes when you install a Cone style filter that is not approved for street use. With the exception of the K&N FIPK filter kit, all K&N cone filters are clearly labled "For Off-Road use only, do not use on emissions controled vehicles". I know that the cone filters used in the K&N FIPK kits is not any different than any of there other generic cone filters, however each FIPK kit is designed and CARB certified for a specific vehicle. Ford could legally get picky about using those filters.

Several other cone filter manufacturers make emissions legal filter kits that are approved for use on street driven vehilces.

As for the speakers, my only guess would be that they won't warranty the speakers, but the rest of your radio/head unit, etc would not be a problem.

...Rich

Todd, good to hear from you... do u make a throttle body for the 06 ranger????

Thanks for all the input guys, i will prolly just do the drop in kn and some speakers for now...

Thanks

Andy

Latest posts