What is this groaning sound?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hear this sound when I accelerate, but not all the time, it seems to stop intermittently. The best way I can describe it is a moaning or a groaning sound. I have no idea where it is coming from and haven't a clue whether it is as simple as something is loose and vibrating or something I should be worried about. I did take it to my mechanic some months ago and asked him what it could be and he could not pinpoint what it was. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar issue. I included a link to a video of the sound.

Hard to tell with very low audio level. Link fixed below.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Steve said, It's hard to tell from the audio clip... What I hear sounds more like a slight howling noise...not a groaning/moaning sound that you described. I think it is probably from the rear differential...but that is just a wild-ass guess and certainly not an absolute confirmation.

...Rich

I seem to hear it at 2100rpm only. My guess is vibration harmonics.

That is a guess. Listening with 9 satelite speakers and 2 subwoofers.

to short a clip to tell,, sounds like it changes to lower pitch as speed increases and or RPMs drop

Have you had a helper hang out the window to listen? could be a loose exhaust shield or a electrical actuator.. Years past I have heard that type of buzz from transmission valve bodies and the check balls within.. Been out of the auto repair business 25 years and these new fangled fly by wire vehicles aren't my forte.. I still believe hand crank door windows are the way to go ~ : ? ) along with side vent windows...

you might try setting the phone on a solid surface while recording or have helper hold a long 3/8" or 1/2" dowel stick against metal cab panel (if you can find one) and their ear to ascertain if coming from front, center, or rear (Old farts stethoscope) Off the top of my head I would try dowel at the seat mounting bolts.

Exhaust leak where the converter meets the back pipe at the Donut with the springs and bolts?

Or something vibrating the floor, Check body mounts, check exhaust hangers, and check transmission mounts and drive shaft.

Todd Z

Latest posts