What is this for???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Ponder

Reaction score
Ok, so on Friday, I FINALLY installed the Super Springs I purchased from John on this site. While doing so, I noticed these two brackets. I am wondering if these are for some sort of optional stabilizer? 2001 ST, Job 2.

Notice the bracket on the rear dif, and the one on the frame.

(This is looking up, under the rear passenger side)

[Broken External Image]:

Any thoughts?

There was a shock on i believe the ranger or other vehicle that ford stole the rear and frame from that went there on that vehicle..... I have yet to see a ST with something there... All i see are empty brackets...

Todd Z

I'll have to check tomorrow. If you check out the explorerforum the guys over there would be more helpful then me since I just bought the Mounty a couple weeks ago. I'm a member over there too. MidnightRebel is my handle over there.

:haveabeer:

I Thnk I found it on Rock Auto. Stabilizer is about $32.00 If we have the brackets, we may as well use them. Especially if this would make a difference in handling, or even emergency manuvers, then it would be worth it.

I'm hoping there is some merit to this, the ST could always handle better, and I'll be getting new shocks (especially front shocks) ASAP, as my ST's handling has fallen to crap.

I'll leave it to those more experienced than I to brave the ExplorerForum :bwahaha:

Looks as if this is for some type of latteral anti-sway device. You sometimes see these on a solid axle rear drive, with coil springs.

Todd,

I don't think the bracket is just a carry over from the original Explorer frame since it was extended about 17" for the Sport Trac...No point in putting on a bracket that has no use on the Sport Trac?

I suspect it may be a bracket used to move or manipulate the frame during assembly, or perhaps a shipping tie-down point. If you recall from the Louisville Assembly Plant tours, the frames are made off-site and the axles and suspension are mounted while the chassis is upside-down and flipped over prior to meeting up with the body.

There are a lot of vehicles that have extra brackets etc on them what perform no function other than to make it easier to assemble the vehicle. Many GM engines come with metal lift tabs attached to the intake/heads that were used to lift the engine and install it at the factory. That way the proper alignment made it easier to repeat the same motion an angles to drop the engine onto the engine mounts.

I don't think Ford or any other manufacturer would waste money on making and installing a bracket on the frame of a vehice that had no use for it.

...Rich

Rich,

The bracket was removed on the 2002 ST........

Todd Z

Latest posts