What do I say to people?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Caffyn

Reaction score
Its happened now twice in the last two weeks that someone sees my prostesis and thinks I was in the service. Their usual comments are 'thanks for your service', 'least I can do for a vet' or 'what battle did you lose your leg in?'. How do I respond? I mean, I'm flattered but do not deserve this recognition. There are usually several people in the area that hear this conversation and I'm honestly afraid to answer. I usually give them a 'have a nice day'. If they persist, like the lady at Wawa tonight, while I was getting my coffee, I said to her I didn't serve and that I was run over by a woman who asked too many questions. It shut her up, but I'm not really like that. What would you do? Bob

Certainly thank them for supporting our troops, but its your call on explaining what occurred. I suppose its something akin to people asking a plump woman when she's due. People sometimes assume they have made the appropriate diagnosis but are simply speaking out of turn lol.

I have a skin condition that is on my face and occasionally rears its ugly head; nobody ever mistakes my condition for a battlefield issue but they sure do make asses of themselves pointing it out lol. I just usually give them a straight up reasonable and tactful response. Funny thing is that it IS something I picked up while down range... ah well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, I get "what fire department are you in" because of the lights in My st... they are clear when off so people just assume.....

I simply say, Thank you but Sorry they are for construction not the FD....

I would respond with, "Thank you for supporting our troops but I did not serve, i was in an accident"

Quick and polite..

Todd Z

Keep it simple.

"Thanks for your concern and support for our troop, but this wasn't Service related."

"Thanks but this wasn't a Service related, it's a extended warranty problem"

Before you respond, you need to ask yourself, "Is the person asking you the question a hot woman?"

Your response should be very different, depending on the answer to that question. If the answer is "no", see the responses from Todd and Redfish above. But if the answer is "yes", it's time to switch to full-bore Barney Stinson mode...

:banana:

Assuming you lost it due to type 2 complications that might have been avoided with different diet and exercise choices then tell them the truth and simply say:

Oh, I didn't serve. My major sacrifice was eating a lot of doughnuts and avoiding exercise.
:)

That would probably shut them up and teach them a lesson about assuming things.

TJR

Bob C,

Take a little time and work out a response that you feel comfortable with. How other people react is really not your concern. If they make a comment and assume you are a war veteran, then they assume too much, and you are not obliged to respond with something to ease their conscience. Also, you do not need to appologize for not being injured in a war or that you may not have served in the military. You do not need to start your reply with "I'm Sorry"!

Just work out a reply that fits your situation and personality, and make no appologies for any obvious physical limitations...It's really not anyone's business as to what happened.

...Rich

It's really not anyone's business as to what happened.

Agree 100%. Some people feel they're being friendly or polite. Opposite, IMO.

Thanks. You guys have been great about this. I really like Red' idea about the extended warranty. But was thinking more along the lines of 'I didn't keep up the payments, so it was repo'd'. Todd, Rich and Steve, good ideas. And Tom, I love ya, but haven't had a doughnut in 12 years. Even though I am bit overweight, I do walk and ride my bicycle on the trails around here. Its just unfortunate for me that a little old lady wasn't paying attention and wrecked a brand new Harley. I just got caught in the middle! I've seen first hand what sugar diabetes does to people, wouldn't wish that on anyone, including you. I do feel somewhat obligated to say something to these people. Its kinda awkward to just smile politely. So, I came up with this, 'I was surfing down in Costa Rica last year and was attacked by a shark!' You should see the looks on their faces.....PRICELESS!! Thanks again guys, Bob

I have a lots of warranty problems. I didn't get the extended warranty and voided the original warranty - badly.

The doctor just told me it would take two years of extensive rehab just to get me to a point where he would consider pronouncing me dead.

:btddhorse:

Bob C,

I have type II diabetes from exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. I have been on an insulin pump for going on 5 years and it has really made a hugh difference. It dropped my H1C from 9.1 to about 5.6

The biggest effect of diabetes for me has been my eyes and bleeding retinas. That has all been resolved now with 7 surgeries over a 2.5 year period. It started with 3 laser surgeries to cut off the bleeding retina blood vessels, then that was followed by 2 Vitrecomies to change the bloody clotted fluid in both eyes, and finally cataract surgery to both eyes. Vitrectomy surgery generally creates cataracts within 6-12 months.

I have gone from 20/200 in one eye to about 20/25....nearly normal. I have not had to wear glasses for nearly 3 years now. I just passed my drivers license vision test and only need to wear glasses to read.....not to bad for an old fart that turned 66 earlier this week.:grin:

...Rich

If you really want to turn it on them: When they say "Thank you for your service," respond with...

"Yer velcome. Zee Fuhrer is happy people still remember."

Bob,

From our background. It could be used as a lie. To witness to teens, that are useing.

This is what happens when you live a life of getting high...

Not sure if today's teen are gulible enough though......:bwahaha:

While at times I am not apposed to affording someone a clear and meaningful response, I feel this case does not warrant a rude or self serving reply.

No doubt that the individuals commenting to Bob are in error, for a number of reasons, but I see no malice on their parts. In a time when the nightly news is bringing these terrible injuries to light everyday, I see a increased awareness and a desire to help by the general public.

A short statement thanking for them for support of the troops, combined with a little levity should educate them while assuring there continued support the troops and physically challanged.

:haveabeer:

Latest posts