Weird

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denis Bourque

Reaction score
Weird thing this morning getting on the highway. I floored my ST and the engin light started flikering at a fast flicker. Figured I'd let it stop flickering and count the blinks to try to get a code(although I didn't think these would flash an engin code)....no dice, it stopped and never came back on.......any thoughts?

Maybe my ST was talking to my wife and wanted to add an opinion to my lead foot?:eek::wacko:

Denis

Are you sure it was the check engine light and not the Tranny OD light ?? OR the brake light ??? The fluids may have moved around and turned the light on...

T

The CEl on the ST normally will not blink..

Todd Z

I had that problem for a while, and had convinced myself that the PCV elbow improv replacement that I had made was at fault, but once I fixed that, I realized that the problem was a cracked plug that the spark plug wire had come partially off of, to make matters worse.

There was mild backfire accompanying this under heavy acceleration, but I was told that such was the transmission having its infamous problem, and for a while, I believed it :(

When it blinks, if you use a ScanGauge to read the codes during the blinking, often times it will stop blinking & stay on, and throw codes--I had 3, one was a chassis code, and the only one I recall was P0304.

While this might not be your problem, it couldn't hurt to make sure that this isn't.

EDIT: Oh yeah, when it blinks under heavy acceleration, the trac will still accelerate reasonably normally, but I took her through some mountains and the acceleration...well, I got passed by a rusted out van that still had "obamabound" spraypainted on the side, and that was when I knew that I had to investigate my problem...my point being that the CEL problem could actually endanger your driveability. Tangenting, other than maybe causing the wire to slip off, I'm not sure how this crack I found in the spark plug could have interfered with the engine, but I replaced the plug anyhow, and now my trac is back to far-better-than-new levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
<a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library/16285/OBD%20codes.htm">A link of Todd's in another thread here</a> says that the CEL only blinks when you've joined the misfire party.

Search the page for blink, and the only result is for error codes P0301-P03010, which all are about misfires, where the last 2 digits represent the cylinder misfiring.

Been there, done that. It's not as fun as it was hyped up to be--but then again, what party is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd - Definately the engin light.

KL - Thanks, I will investigate. I did notice sluggish shifts in the last couple of days.

What's the recomended plug change on these. I'm sure it's in the owners manual, I'm just lazzy:D I'm almost at 60Kmiles.

Thanks,

Denis

I'm not sure, but when I did mine at 90xxx K--when I realized that the original owner had done about 0 upkeep on her, the wires and the plugs were pretty much one, and the plugs coming out were all battered and blackened, so if you wanna pull those guys out 30k miles before I did, that's probably a good idea...also, one of my junky OEM wires actually ripped on extraction, but Zabteck had hooked me up with livewires, so I wasn't sad to see em go.

Though in my case the wire had come off of the plug..not completely, but enough to screw up the works, so maybe your wire has decided to wander off, or if it is still the junky stock one, has just died....assuming again that you have the same problem that I did.

Latest posts