Weird issue. "Overheating"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug K 2

Reaction score
I have an 08 XLT with just over 90k miles on it. Today while accelerating to get on the highway the temp gauge maxed out and the light came on. I heard a loud blowing sound come from under the hood. I pulled over and almost right away the gauge came back down, light went out, and when I accelerated to pull back in to traffic there was no blowing sound or anything out of the normal. I took it back home and it drove as normal. No noticeable difference from any other day. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Possible reasons?

Just a thought, but the blowing sound was prolly the fan being engaged from the temperature spike. A balky thermostat could have caused that. How is coolant level? Are there any leaks? How long since last coolant service? I'd continue to monitor; with colder weather approaching a thorough check of belts, hoses and coolant test would be in order.

The coolant level is just below the full cold after sitting all night. Haven't noticed any leaks but not entirely sure where I should look. It's been raining the last couple days so there hasn't been a puddle of coolant under the truck. I popped the cap on the radiator and noticed some yellow/orange gunk for lack of a better term. You think I should drain and refill? Is there a cleaning additive out there that is worth the time?

Level sounds good, so I doubt you've got a leak. If you did you'd notice it on the ground, in the engine compartment or dripping from chassis. If you've got debris in the radiator then it's time to change the coolant. Your local parts store can advise you on cleaning products and/or a flush kit. Has coolant ever been changed?

Had same issue with my '07 V8. Changed thermostat and no problem since!

I had a similar problem last winter, well not the fan because it was winter, but the temp gauge was acting funny. Put in a new thermostat and no issues since.

TStat housing.......Seen it many times..... Even the Gen2 has this issue.

Todd Z

After doing some research on here I replaced the thermostat the other day. I kept seeing cracked thermostat housings in my searches but my coolant levels were still pretty good. Saw some gunk on the radiator cap and inside the t-stat housing when I opened it up. Decided to drain the fluid and do a little flush. The flushed fluid was still pretty clean. Filled it back up after the flush and buttoned everything up. Haven't seen any problems the since. Thanks for the help. First time I have had a legit problem with the trac and glad it was an easy fix.

After doing some research on here I replaced the thermostat the other day. I kept seeing cracked thermostat housings in my searches but my coolant levels were still pretty good. Saw some gunk on the radiator cap and inside the t-stat housing when I opened it up. Decided to drain the fluid and do a little flush. The flushed fluid was still pretty clean. Filled it back up after the flush and buttoned everything up. Haven't seen any problems the since. Thanks for the help. First time I have had a legit problem with the trac and glad it was an easy fix.

I agree with Vic. Likely a stuck Tstat and the blower noise was the fan clutch engaging once it sensed the heat after the tstat unstuck. If you changed the stat, you should be good.

Latest posts