Weight Loss Question???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
Ok, my wife is having issue with losing weight.

Here are the specs. Yes, she could lose 20 pounds max I feel. But after that, she would not look correct proportionally based on her height. She is Just under 5' 10" and weighs something like 185 maybe 190 tops.

She eats very well. NEVER eats fast food, has a salad EVERY day for lunch or something like chicken or tuna that she mixes at home with a very SMALL amount of Mayo just to get some moisture in the mix. She does not eat a breakfast per say. It will be a cup of hot tea and some sort of a morning light item, (toast, hard boiled egg). No matter what she eats in the morning it is a small portion. For dinner she will eat whatever we are having just a controlled portion. But steers away from heavy starch or fatty foods over-all.

She does not drink pop, she drinks a substantial amount of water. Everyone in my house drinks only diet items with the exception of sweetened cold tea. Even then, it is pretty much just for dinner.

She does 300 to 500 steps on a stepping machine EVERY DAY. if possible, she goes for a fast paced walk that totals 3000 steps. If she misses one or the other she does some sit-ups or leg-ups or something to get at least some exercise.

She is, or more accurately, was VERY athletic in her early years, we are both 43 now. She is the "big boned" frame. She played 3 collage sports all four years as well as started to play pro volley ball until she tore her Achilles Tendon.

She doe take birth control pills which I understand can add weight. She has taken the same kind for as long as I can remember which will be like 20 ish years now.

She is beyond frustrated.

Any advice as to your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

She has a bit of a belly she just can not get rid of.

http://www.smartbodynutrition.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SBN&Product_Code=ABB15

But tell her to be VERY sure she doesn't drink it within 6 hours of bedtime. It's pretty much crack.

She hit a platoue..... We discuss them in WW all the time...

She has to "change" 1 thing she does.

Her body hit a comfort zone based on what she id currently doing...

I know it is hard, But does she get 2 milks a day, 2 tsp of oil, 8 classes of water and balanced meals..

ALSO IS she eating enough ??? You can slow your body down by not eating enough..

I have lost 76lbs on WW and hope to go more..

I also can send you some of my WW stuff if she has not done it before or needs some of the books. We get them every week and every 10 weeks the books start over...

Going on 2 years now for me..

Todd Z

In addition to what she is doing, work with weights. Building muscle will burn fat. Cardio is good but adding weight training will speed things up. It's not good to skimp (is that a word?) on breakfast. Good stretches for all body parts to increase blood flow and focus on the core.

Diets by and large don't work. They don't. An overwhelming majority of dieters that lose any serious weight will gain it back and then some, and then repeat that cycle several times throughout their life.

If she currently has a healthy body and is only 20 pounds over her ideal weight AND feels good, and is living a lifestyle with diet and exercise that she feels is the way she wants to live for the rest of her life THEN my advice is ENJOY LIFE, keep it up, and try to stay just where she is.

I've given up on getting back to the 200 lbs 6' guy that I once was. I have been over 250lbs since highschool, and as long as I stay healthy and between 250 and 270 I am happy and enjoying life. I know that if I drop 70 or 80 lbs I will gain it back...I have shown myself that time and time again.

Oh, and that guy that said "No food tastes as good as being thin feels" doesn't eat what I am eating I can tell you that.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and that guy that said "No food tastes as good as being thin feels" doesn't eat what I am eating I can tell you that.

After my first eggbeater/broccoli/no fat cheese omelet, I decided that if I was going to die, it was going to be with a belly full of GOOD food.:D

What's up Joe. I'm a certified personal trainer and just want throw some ideas out there. Breakfast is huge. It starts up daily metabolism and should never be skipped. When eating through out the day make sure her carb intake is mainly early in the morning rather than close to bed. When doing exercise the best way to lose fat is one: do strength training a C said. Muscle eats calories and the more you have the more they will eat , even through out the day just walking and what not. If your body has increased muscle in will need a increase in calories which in turn will burn them faster. When doing cardio be sure to do speed sets, they are the best way to burn fat doing cardio. Regular straight cardio keeps your heart at a level pace through out a extended period of time and is good for you cardiovascular endurance but is not good for fat burning. To burn fat while running, cycling, etc. you have to do sprint intervals. I'll try to explain this... lol. Say i was on a stationary bike. I would sprint as fast as possible for 30sec. to a minute and then than slow down to about 35-45% of max effort for about a minute, then sprint again as before. Then I would continue the cycle for as long as I can take it. Essentially you want to make where you can do even sprints to rest times. So like one min sprint, one minute rest, etc. Also tell her to increase her fiber and protein intake. She will not bulk up like the myth's say. It will help build muscle and in turn burn calories. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or this doesn't make sense.

I did the Weight Watcher Core program. I found that the heathly foods that I thought were heathly really aren't. I lost 12 pounds in 3 months.:D

eating a good breakfast has been proven to help loose weight. i would strongly urge her to eat breakfast. if you eat breakfast you will not feel as hungry throughout the day and will decrease your intake in other times of the day that are not as healthy such as the late pm. i would highly suggest any type of healthy cereal. i am currently doing this. i can go for hours into the afternoon without even being hungry. i will eat fruit or yogurt around 1-2pm and wont be hungry till about 5 which is a good time to eat dinner. you dont want to eat dinner late, i would suggest even as early as 6. if you eat too late it will just sit in your stomach when your body goes into rest for the night. alot of it has to do with metabolism and keeping it going (with the right food) at prime times. there is tons information out there she could check out. she may even want to see a nutritionalist...they are very very good.

With what has been said above, I strongly urge her to get on Louise Gittleman's Detox Program, because beef & dairy products have a lot of growth hormones in them that go directly into us - so we must eat "Organic". I also recommend eating lean high protein foods like chicken; turkey; buffalo (bison); Ostrich; salmon is very good too, even better than tuna. Also get Muriel Hemmingway's new book "Life Style Change from the Inside Out" (or something like that). Combine the Zone Diet with the Eat Right for Your Type program.

There's a chain called Fudruckers that has it on the menu, as well as a small berger place in Davis, CA called Redrum (used to be called Murder Burger, but someone complained). Checked the internet and here's some interesting info. on it:

Free-range Ostrich, Including Exclusive Omega-3 Ostrich: The Premier Meat

When it comes to the combination of great taste and healthiness, ostrich is truly one of the most superior meats in existence. It may be unusual for some to think about the planet's largest bird in this manner, but the taste of ostrich is incredibly similar to prime beef.

Ostrich, a red meat, is even lower in calories, cholesterol and fat than skinless chicken and turkey, while remaining high in iron and protein. Due to its ideal balance of nutrients, in fact, my chief nutritionist here at the Optimal Wellness Center eats it routinely, and recommends it highly to those whose religious faiths it does not conflict with.* It is also the leading recommended source of protein from a wide variety of health organizations, including the American Heart Association, American Cancer Association and American Diabetic Association.

What's more, due to the ostrich's ideal pH balance, the meat does not attract harmful bacteria like E.coli or salmonella, unlike chicken and other meats.

This combination of great taste and nutrition, and its incredible ease and versatility in cooking, is why ostrich has so rapidly found its way onto the menu of many of the nation's finest restaurants.

*I do want to note that the Bible, in Leviticus 11, does mention ostrich as one on a long list of animals that shouldn't be consumed. While it does not explain why, and suggested explanations from clergy vary widely, it may refer to the fact that the wild ostrich's diet was unknown. The ostrich offered here are fed on a diet primarily of the very healthy alfalfa, and free-range farmed in conditions far cleaner and healthier than the chicken, turkey and other meat commonly found in grocery stores; from a clinical perspective, I can highly recommend ostrich as an incredibly healthy meat. However, I believe the Bible is God's inherent word, including the Old Testament, so I am choosing to avoid eating ostrich and instead choose the equally healthy and delicious bison offered on this site.

Ostrich Nutrition Comparison

Serving (3 oz.) Calories Protein (g) Fat (g) Chol. (mg)

Ostrich 97 22 2 58

Bison 85 18 2 49

Chicken (skinless) 140 27 3 73

Turkey (skinless) 135 25 3 59

Beef (lean, steak) 240 23 15 77

Pork (lean, loin) 275 24 19 84

She does take birth control pills which I understand can add weight

Without the pill the possibility of gaining more weight is higher for about 9 months.

You can starve yourself, be miserable and still die. Be happy with what God gave you and stop sweating the small stuff.

Tell her you love her and she looks fantastic.

Coastie, I echo what a number of people here have said. Breakfast is the key. if you don't eat breakfast you body goes into starvation mode, meaning anything you do eat will be stored due to the long periods of lack of nurishment. anything thing that seems to help is calcium, specifically milk. See if she'll add a bowl of cheerios to her morning tea or special K etc. She'll have more energy, feel less hungry, and loss some weight.

Sounds like she is doing what she needs to do with one exception: Just be comfortable with her natural appearance. If equilibrium is her current weight, with that much physical excercise and reasonable eating, that's what her body is. Trying to change that is a "forever" excercise.

Don't worry. Be happy.

Coastie, your wife sounds like a carbon copy of mine. My wife has always had problems shedding those extra pounds. About 6 months ago she started taking Hot Yoga and has dropped a few more pounds. Although Hot Yoga doesn't sound to strenuous it will crush a guy that's all buffed out from going to the gym every day. I tried it once and though I was going to die. :D

Latest posts