Water Pump Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Cann

Reaction score

Hello everyone,

I've been doing some searching but can't seem to find anyone that has ever had this problem. I have had the truck for 2.5 years and it has made a clattering under the hood the entire time I've had it, however I am planning a road trip and thought I better fix it before heading out.. Thought it was a bad belt tensioner until I replaced it and the noise continued. :banghead: Upon further investigation with a stethoscope it seems the water pump is the culprit. It really is hard to believe because the truck only has around 80,000 mi. Ford wants almost $600 to change the thing (the pump alone is $300) So I was just wondering if anyone has changed one themselves, or if I should even be worried about the noise. It's been doing it since before I got it and I have put on around 15,000 miles in the time I've owned it. I just don't want the pump to pile up in the middle of nowhere. What do you guys think?

My idler pulley was making noise, so I'd have that checked too. My son did my water pump. In watching him do it, it did not seem that difficult. You might want to replace all the hoses while you are at it. But, it is time consuming. You will have to replace all of the coolant unless you drain the radiator, and save what you can. Check your local parts stores like AutoZone because the water pump does not cost the much. Good luck with it.

:banana:

Normally the pumps don't make noise unless they are wobbling......

Take off the belt and spin the w/p by hand, move the pulley in and out, up and down, side to side...

If there is no movement, I bet it is fine and its something else....

ALSO $300 for a W/P is robery.... Price around..

Todd Z

Latest posts