Water leak in back seat

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug K 2

Reaction score
There was a pretty good storm the other day and I noticed some water on the inside of the window behind the back seats. I cleaned up a little today and found more water on the floor behind the seats. I haven't noticed this before so I haven't had much time to take a look at it. Anybody run into this before? Quick fix pricey?:-/

If that's not it check the drain hoses of the sunroof if you've got one. On my first Trac back in 02 the dealer struggled with the problem a total of 9 visits until the factory rep fixed it by shortening the hose so it had no bend in it. Acted like a sink trap-kept the drain tray around the sunroof full till it overflowed spilling onto the top of the headliner then running to the back. At least that's what I was told-- but they lied to me so many times I wasn't sure what to believe.

3RD brake light..... Guaranteed....

Todd Z

Fix - remove light cover, clean seal.

Option 1: use WD40 on the seal to revitalize it. Reinstall cover. Check for leaks.

Option 2: use silicon around seal on cover. Reinstall cove. Check for leaks.

On my ST I used Option 2; still no leaks and approaching a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used some 3M insulating tape. Stuck it to the inside edges of the brake light, then reinstalled the light. No leaks since.

Option two sounds like the best one. I was thinking about the 3m tape but the silicon sounds like a better option. This site is awesome. I always get help and opinions when I need it. Thanks everyone.

I used option two and then put a dab of clear silicone on top of both screw recesses after I tightened them down and have had no issues since.

I'm thinking that when the dealer told me it was the drain hose bend they were too embarrassed to admit it was the 3rd brake light after 9 visits and replacing the sunroof tray and rear door seal. That was 13 years ago and I haven't been on their lot since, wouldn't trust them to check the air in the tires. This is the best site, people helping people!

I had this issue and yes it was he 3rd brake light.

One easy way to test is to put the A/C fan on high with the windows closed, and use soapy water around the lens and look for bubbles.

I went through 3 before I got the problem ultimately fixed. I found that the body seal leaked but the heat from the bulbs cracked the plastic.

Solution- use an aftermarket LED version such as Recon, Anzo or Eagle Eye. Some do not come with LED cargo lamps though so order those as well for a nice clean look with something that will last.

BTW, 04-08 F150 3rd brake lights are the same.

Latest posts