Water leak above the 07 rear window

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Krusich

Reaction score
My "new to me" 07 is in the first rain since I have owned it and there is a leak from somewhere above the rear window. I remember others mentioning this in the past but since it did not apply to my Gen 1 Sport Trac I paid no attention.

Now it is my problem too. Where is the first place to look since I can't tell exactly where it is leaking.

Thanks for the help!

Steve

3 rd brake light..

Todd Z

I would get up there, Either in the bed or out the window and have a Philip's screw driver.

PUSH with your hands the light down to the truck... the foam gasket should crush more and then tighten the screws....

Try that first before using sillycone..

Todd Z

I agree, it's most likely the 3rd brake light.

As mentioned, double check the alignment of the "foam" gasket and press down on the housing slightly while threading the screws in.

It may also be the rubber around the screws.

Here's my response to an earlier post & Todd's comment . . .

(BTW, I've had absolutely no reoccurrence.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same thing with my 07 - do exactly what Todd suggested - worked perfect for me - took 48 seconds.

Took my old bones more time to get up in the bed of the truck. :lol:

I experienced the same thing on my 07. The little utility tray on top of the subwoofer would sometimes be full of water after a hard rain.

Got worse after I installed my XM antenna up through the 3rd break light. Removed break light, put a healthy bead of silicone around the light, re-installed, a few hours later it was dry and tight! No leaks since.

Same as Todd. It was a leak around my third brake light. The dealer made good on it and replaced the stained headliner under the warranty.

Needless to say I also avoid certain types of car washes now.

Latest posts