Warning light question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judd Quarles

Reaction score
Well, I got a strange warning light yesterday. I say strange because it was apparently for no reason. Started the trac and everything was fine. I drove 10 miles or so and it beeped and the "Check Fuel Cap" light came on. So, I stopped and checked the fuel cap. Nothing wrong, but nonetheless I unscrewed it and put it back on. The light continued for a while and went off. Then, it later came back on. Very annoying- what could be the problem?

I found a 2005 Explorer XLS Sport 4x4 at a local dealer today. Only 5000 miles, perfect condition, $16400. Is that a deal or what? It makes me want to go back to an explorer....

Clean the seal and the filler neck with windex and try again...

It could be a bad cap, OR under the filler door there are hoses with elbows on them, Look and see if any came off..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I have checked everything, it seems to be ok. I guess that means another trip to the dealer when I have time. :( It's pretty annoying to have that, especially since it comes up and blocks the odometer.