Wagner's New "Low Copper" Brake Pad

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Price 2

Reaction score
California and Washington state have passed laws requiring brake manufacturers to reduce the copper content in their brake friction material. By 2021, they must be less than 5% copper, and by 2025 the limit is 0.5%

He metioned there is up to 20% copper content in ceramic pads.

Its used as a friction modifier.

I'm all for being green. Particularly when it comes to the fish I'm eating.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see for performace/dust/squeak results.

...long way off though

Just though I'd share. This channel for "Motor Age Magazine" is pretty neat

What makes copper so dangerous? We use copper for water pipes and cooking utensils with no reported ill effects?

I don't think that copper is dangerous to fish or wildlife? I know that copper is used to treat some aquarium fish diseases, and I don't think that copper leaches into the ground water or contaminates wildlife food sources?

It sounds like more Environmentalist insanity and making claims that have not been proven or just total BS. :angry:

Years ago there was a case in Colorado where the Environmentalist objected to a freeway being built too close to a small stream that they claimed was the habitat of some rare, endangered species of fish. After they got the freeway diverted and built further from the stream at great expense to the Colorado Highway Department, a wildlife expert said that the endangered fish species never inhabited that stream and their nearest habitat was many miles away? When interviewed, the leader of that environmental group admitted that it was all a lie to try and stop the building of the highway by making it too expensive to reroute it or fight the legal battle in court.

Since then, there has been a big shift in the environmentalist movement in dealing with the Federal Government...It's called Sue-N-Settle. The environmentalist sue for any reason they deem necessary and the Federal government will not fight them in court and just grants their wishes?? This has been a very popular way for environmentalist to get what they want from the Obama administration, and Obama keeps his Green (voting) machine happy...and no new environmental laws or regulations need to be passed by Congress or the Senate...It's all part of the legal settlement.

...Rich

Maybe it's to keep people from stealing brake pads off of cars to salvage the copper, the way they steal copper pipes from construction sites and foreclosed homes...

:banana::banana::banana:

Ditto, Rich.........

More tree hugging insanity.BTW, I heard that twice worn socks cause lukemia....But only if you wear them with sandals made from ostrich on weekends...:bwahaha:.

There is a big mess associated with copper mining because it is far from a environmentally sound, as long as the pads perform the same why would you care to go green.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are either of those states a major producer from copper mines? Nope. Sounds like left coast enviro nazis trying to dictate how the rest of the world lives.

Copper does make a womans egg not attach to her uteris..... IUD devices work that way.

Todd Z

Hey Todd Z. Does the woman have to lick her brake pads to ingest the copper? or is airborne particles of copper a problem?

If it is airborne particles, many brake pads contain asbestos to which we know is dangerous to inhale airborne particles and that effects everyone The government has force the amount of asbestos in brake pads and linings, but I would think copper is a much lower risk since it only effect pregnant women and very early in their pregnancy....probably only in the first few days after inception.

Update: I just read about California's mandatory reduction of copper in brake pads and linings and they claim that most of the copper found in the soil, water, etc is created by man, and they fear it will contaminate the water supply...There is no claim that copper is harmful to humans, plants or animals, and in fact all animals, plants and sea creature need copper to live. So it appears that California wants to reduce copper in the environment not for any environmental dangers, but simply because it's there and is predominately man made...Not dangerous or for any known health concerns?

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
KL,

That was my original question too?

I think California is talking about particles of cooperin the run-off water and ultimately contaminating the water supply. Even thought they have not shown that this would be harmful to humans, animals or plants. They also use the word "Contaminate" which most people consider a Bad thing when no studies have been done to show if certain levels of copper is even dangerous?

...Rich

Latest posts