VW 01 BEETLE PUTRID INTERIOR ODOR

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale McMurry

Reaction score
In April of 2001 I bought my wife a new VW Beetle Turbo for her birthday. After a period of

time there developed an odor that smelled like crayons and it progressively got worse over

a long period. Last year it started to cause headaches, sore throat, and allergys to the point

she didn't want to drive the car. (45,000 miles). The dealer said he had never heard of this

but would check TSB for information. The typical response was that he could not find

anything on the subject.

I did a search on the internet for information and found other owners had complained about

this problem and VW admitted a problem, they got a bad batch of contaminated insulating

material (glue) installed in some cars (New Beetle and Jetta). The fix is to remove carpeting, seats, dashboard and then replace all of the insulation from firewall to rear trunk.

When my wife showed the service writer this information he went and called a factory

rep and was told to fix the problem even though it was way out of warranty. VW probably

does not want a class action suite. Car will be ready Monday, we shall see.

Document, Document, and, again, Document...

Keep all records...

You said " VW admitted a problem...", etc...

"Contaminated Insulating Material-", etc...

"Fix the problem even though it was out of warranty", etc...

Keep the paperwork, my friend, and contact a Reputable Attorney in your

area, if there is such a thing!

It's called a(n) "Sensitizing Allergic Reaction", or S.E.A.R. , not to be confused

with the S.A.R's Virus.

See Link Below for Contact Info;

That happened to a old girl friends Beetle. A VW tech was a friend of hers and he tipped her off of the problem. They replaced everything and I mean everything under warrenty. Carpet, seats, headliner, etc. It was a mess.