Vindows Vista, your thoughts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caymen, I had the same problem with my home network (Linksys wireless broadband router). It wasn't until I temporarily broadcast my SSID that I could get the Vista laptop to recognize and connect, though I tried everything...including manually entering all the network info rather than trying to discover it.

Vista...not for the novice.

TJR

Yeah, it's been around awhile. Seems to keep resurfacing whenever a new OS comes out. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
When XP stops being produced, how soon do any of you anticipate it will be that all the new software is "Vista only", thus making XP as useful as the old original Windows for DOS?

It takes them 3-5 years because there are so many Corporations running XP as their certified software. I was in a Bank of America branch the other day and they are running Win2K still.

Besides, XP SP3 was released a few weeks ago.

Microsoft really kind of shot themselves in their foot when they made Office 2007. It works perfect in XP and does not improve the slightest in Vista. While Windows XP really was a major overhaul over Windows 98, Vista offers no advantage at all over XP. The ONLY software that would not run as well on XP would be the newest high-tech games that operate with Direct X-10. And to run those you will need to spend at least $500 on a video card.

Bill V,

Rumors are that Windows XP will not be sold on new computers by year-end, though I am skeptical. I suspect XP will be available for purchase for install for several years to come. I don't expect any software, other than Microsoft software to be "Vista Only" anytime soon (again, at least a year or so). Microsoft has already done this with DirectX 10 (a graphics subsystem) and Halo 2 (a game) for the PC....Vista only..."for now".

TJR