VIBRATION

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
01 and 02 have the steel shaft from the factory. From 03 up it gets wishy washy on it may or may not have it.

If you bought yours used, it may have been swapped out already.

My '03 Adrenalin had the steel shaft. I got the TSB shaft and it helped reduce the vibration, but I never got rid of the vibration.

My '07 has very little vibration. Ford got it right for '07 vibration issues.

Gavin what was the grand total?

And I forget yet again who has access to junkyard databases.... But can I get a search for an aluminum drive shaft?

Todd did ya ever locate that part #?

TY Guys!

I just got off the phone with my local ford shop and they seem to be completely unaware of a TSB ever being called out on the ST's drive shaft. Further more they quoted me just north of 400.00 for a new one but couldn't tell me if that was steel or aluminum. :blink: The only suggestion they had for me was to go and have my shaft rebalanced...

Anyone wanta throw me some pointers? :wub:

It sounds like you have a tire that iw worn out of round. It can be balanced, but that will not correct it from being out of round.

Also, since you feel the vibration in the seat of your pants, it's probably a rear tire that's messed up otherwise you would feel the vibration in the steering wheel if it was a front tire.

I contantly had the sam problem with a Buick Regal I owned that came with General Tires...In fact, I had the same problem with every vehicle I owned with General Tires. Since I switched to Goodyears about 20 years ago, I have not encounterd the problem. That's not to say it can't happen to Goodyear's but when it happens to every General Tire I owned, I say it's the brand of tire.

The drive shaft balance problem is only noticable at speeds above 70 MPH and since yours happens at lower speeds it's a tire/wheel problem.

...Rich

The only time I feel the vibration is when I'm cruisin at 65-75 mph and then another kinda of vibration from 85+

I had the wheels balanced not much more than a week ago.

I'm not going insane with this vibration. I can live with it... but why live with such an annoyance.

This post is the first time I ran across anything regarding my driveshaft as possibly being the culprit. I'm still interested to see where this can go because if I can eliminate that vibration I will be one happy camper!

The driveshaft TSB replacement only applies to vibrations that occur above 70 MPH. If you feel vibrations below 70 MPH it is most likely tire or wheel problems.

Like I previously said, If a tire is worn out-of-round (like cupping) you can balance it till you are blue in the face and you will not get rid of the vibration. When a tire is out-of-round you cannot do anything but replace the tire. It's not possible to make the tire run true again.

Your last post now appears to indicate that you are getting two distinctly different vibrations??? If that's the case, you have two different problems which cannot be fixed with on solution. First you need to have a compentent tire dealer run a dial indicator on your tires to find out which one is out-of-round...Perhaps you may have two tires worn out-of-round?? Replace any tires that are out of round and have the new tires balanced. Then check for any vibrations and what speed that vibration occurs at.

If you feel no vibrations untill you run faster than 70 MPH, then you may have to have the drive shaft replaced with an aluminum one. Ford was replacing many driveshafts on earlier Sport Trac's but if your truck is out of warranty, they may require you to pay for the update.

...Rich

Aluminum Part from my ford dealer is $292 your cost Brand NEW,.....4x4

Todd Z

Todd, could you get me a price for an 03 aluminum part ( and part number)

i need to go in next week to have the same problem looked at, id like to have an idea of cost.

or if i go to a local garage, id like to make sure their not bending me over....

vern

currently stuck in DC... When i make it back home I'm going to have my tires looked at one more time before I make any moves with the DriveShaft. I'll let you know. Thanks Todd

FWIW, only 4x4's were affected by the vibration with the steel driveshaft. 4x2's were not affected.

If anyone has a 4x2 and has vibration, it is not the driveshaft.

Tom

Latest posts