Vibration after new tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
After 60K miles I replaced my GY Fortera Silent Armors with General Grabber HTS'. They look and feel great thusfar, but there is vibration around my cruising speed of 65-80mph. What's the usual cause of this after a set of new tires? Incorrect balance? Improper torque on the lugs? Bad tires? Didn't have this problem with the Goodyears.

FYI, I got these for about $140 each, about $705 out the door including alignment. I will check the torque on the lugs and if there's nothing wrong there I will definitely hit up the tire shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trac_511,

Yes, improper balancing is probably the most likely problem. Go back to the tire store and have them rebalance all 4 tires. It may be something as simple as forgetting to balance one of the tires?

If balancing the tires does not cure the vibration, then you likely have one or more defective tires. These are tires that for what ever reason did not get molded perfectly round, or the plys or belts shifted and cause the tire to not turn true...They often call this "Radial Run-out". I had Radial Run-out on one of the replacement tires on my Honda many years ago. I got a vibration at higher speeds and th car pulled to the left. I took it back to the tire store the next day and they identified the bad tire and replaced it, which solved the problem.

It is also remotely possible that they bent your alloy wheels while installing the new tires. The newer tire machines should not damage the alloy wheels, but sometimes the machine breaks down, and they have to go to an older back up machine. The guys may not be familiar with the older machine and use it improperly which can damage the wheels.

...Rich

I put a set of those tires on my '05. Just a fair warning to you, they are the worst tires to balance I have ever owned. I was the first ST owner that the shop I use put these tires on and they now, based on my experience, do not recommend them to other ST owners. Very disappointed in these tires!!! If you can swap them I suggest you do and go to a Michelin. I waited too late to be able to swap without it costing me money. And BTW the shop even used a road force balancer and still could not get them to balance up properly. They tried 8 different tires and never got 4 that would truly balance when I got back to them to complain about the bad ride. I had about 5k miles on them at the time I complained. But even from the beginning they never were a very smooth ride. General only offered ot replace them with another General or Continental tire. No thanks!! I WILL buy Michelin from now on. I have the LTX M/S on my wife's '04 Expl and we really like them.

I did not want to prejudge your tires, but I never had much luck with General tires either. I have actually had tires that were so out-of-round that you could see it with your naked eye when you took the tires off the car !!! I had 3 sets of General tires on vehicles I owned in the past and always had problems with vibrations, wearing out of round and hard to balance.

Since then, I have never purchased another General tire in nearly 30 years. I would have hoped they got their Sh#t together by now, but it does not appear that they have.

If you can, you might want to see if the tire dealer will exchange those Generals for another brand?

...Rich

The problem is the tires. I have those on my truck and had to replace 2 of them the same week because they wouldn't stay balanced. I got the replacements put on and one of them was bad. So out of a total of 7 brand new tires 3 were bad. Look on the tire rack website reviews for those generals and everyone complains about not being able to keep them balanced. If it's not too late exchange them for something else IMO! Oh yeah and after I finally got a good set I had them rotated and balanced for the first time and now they wobble again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. I chose these tires for the price and good overall reviews from tirerack actually so I'm disappointed. I will visit the seller soon and hopefully I don't have to pony up more cash for upgrades, say for Michelins.

I did NOT read all of the posts above, but did want to add to the list.

I bought expensive Michelin tires and had an issue from day one.

They balanced them and it helped, but was still there and I did NOT have an issue with my old tires. This is on my Lexus.

So we rotated front to back and the vibration was gone.

Rotated them back as they wanted to re-re-balance them. Still there.

Rotated one from front to back and it improved but still there, rotated the other to the rear vibration gone. Brought the first one to the front and half the vibration came back.

The removed the tires and said my rims are bent. I said I am fine with that and you will pay for the rims as you MUST have bent them as there was ZERO issue before.

Of course this was not an issue in there eyes...

I had them mark the tires so I knew where they were on the rims before them removed them. I had them rotate the tire 180 degrees as compared to where they were mounted before.

Put it all back together and the vibration is all but gone.

Long story short,,,, the tires were heavy enough on one side that they just could not balance them without gaining an in / out type vibration due to the placement of the weights.

Things are good now...

My point is,,, spins the tires to a different location on your rims to see if things change for you.

do you have the OEM shocks on the truck or replacements? Different tires have different "spring" rates... You could find a shop that can balance the tires while placing a load on the tires, too..

I agree with Coastiejoe. Sometimes they mount the heaviest part of the tire in line or closely aligned with the heaviest part of the wheel and it makes it difficult to balance.

This is usually easy to spot since they will have a lot of weight on one side of the tire, or they will have weights scattered all over the inside and outside of the wheel. When ever I see that, I ask them to rotate the tire 180 degrees on the wheel and rebalance the tire....That will usually solve the problem. I have not had to do that in many years, so I just assumed that most of the tire shops would know the solution, but I guess it's always possible to get the new guy who has not been properly trained.

I recently bought some new Goodyear tires for my Toyota Hylander. While I watched the guy mount the tires I noticed that there was a little white round sticker on the side wall of the tire and he seemed to be aligning that sticker with the tire valve? Perhaps Goodyear is checking their tires for heavy spots and are putting the sticker on the tire to notify the tire installer exactly where to align the tire to achieve the best balance??? Sounds like a smart idea :grin:

...Rich

Ditto, on richard and cj...

My rule of thumb is. If I see 2oz of wieght on a rim. I make them do the 180. If that still doesnt work. I demand a different tire. Saves those furure vib headaches.

I now have 15k on my HTSs on my '02 ST - and No problems so far. I'm one of the members that has recommended the HTS in the past because I was really pleased and am surprised to hear all of the issues. I gave up on my Good Years. I guess that's one of the reason we have this Web site.

JohnJR,

That's why I don't like to recommend specific tires to someone else. Tire are more related to your driving style and what you are wanting from your tires. Tires have always been a compromise of traction vs tread wear. Secondary factors are road noise and overall ride comfort. No single tire will satisfy everyone's complete list of needs.

Some people want a long tread life, but that harder tread compound will sacrafice some traction, especially in wet weather. If you buy a true performance tire, you will get excellent traction, but will wear the treads out pretty fast.

Truck tires typically have very hard tread and side walls to deal with the heavier loads. This typically means that the ride will be harsher and often create more road noise based on the tread pattern....more agressive treads mean more noise. Generally, tires made for off-road use are not that great on the highway, and the reverse is true for highway tires used for driving off-road.

All tire makers will occasionally put out a bad tire. Remember that tires are made by individuals (not robots). The tires are made up of many pieces that are built up by hand laying the layers onto the carcass. If the operator of that tire machine had a bad day, he might put a layer on crooked and you now have a tire that looks fine but may have a balance problem, or radial run-out, etc., that will not be discovered until it's installed on a customer's vehicle.

So the only way to make good tires is constant quality control checks at each step of the construction..Unfortunately, most tire makers can't/don't have that level of quality control.

That's also why when ever there is a tire issue, it is usually isolated to a single tire plant...That plant has poor quality control and they are making bad tires and not catching them with their quality inspections.

You may have gotten a good set of General tires, while other's got General tires from a factory with poor quality control, or a disgruntled employee with an attitude, who is just slapping the tires together to meet his quota.

Yes, I said Quota! Years ago we had a General Tire factory here in Waco, TX. I worked with a guy who had previously worked for General Tire. He did their production scheduling and said that employees were given a quota to build X number of tires per day...

If they accomplished that in 6 hours, they were free to go home and got paid for the whole day. Each employee was assigned a tire machine that they used, and nobody could use that machine, and they were not allowed to use nother machine?? So if their machine broke down, they sat in the break room until their machine was fixed. Their quota was adjusted based on how long the machine was broke down. If it was down for 8 hours, the got full pay for sitting in the break room all day. Needless to say, this was a union shop.

This was after I had 3 bad experiences with General Tires, but it made me understand why I did not like General Tires, and why their tires were so crappy...at least at that time (around 1985), and that General Tire factory closed shortly there after.

Even stranger is that General Tire still owns that factory, and can't seem to find a buyer. They have a small maintenance crew there that keeps the building in repair, mows the grass, and trys to keep the up the building, but it looks depressing, like an old prison...:sad:

...Rich

Richard,,

I thought general tire was bought out by continental tire?

Im, like you family and myself had experiances in the past. We wont buy general tires. To this day I hear of folks around me, get the run around @ general tire stores. My last time was in '78. New dodge van @ 800miles a faulty sidewall split. The dealership did nonthing. The general tire store wanted me to pay 2/3 of the cost + balance fee and tax. I believe he was coming out on top. So I ran the spare and bought anther brand for spare for 1/2 the general store wanted. The OEM generals only lasted 20k.

I will buy certain continental tires. I havent had a bad one yet.

The new coopers on my trac are the first I have bought since the '60 and '70s. Back then cooper had some between the tread spliting problems. No problems so far.

30 to 40 yrs ago. All tire manufactors didnt have the variety as now. So if they got a bad name for one. The public asumed the worst for the whole line.

I wont buy some of the major brands. Michelin & Goodyear & Firestone/Brigstone are 3. Not because of bad tires. Because I refuse to pay that 25% to 30% mark up, for their name. Around me BFG seems to be competitive pricing with lessor known brands. Never had a bad BFG. I have gotten just as good service from lessor known brands. As my friends that run the super name brands.

The shop rebalanced the front tires but the vibration remains. Manager said he will rebalance them but I told him if the next try doesn't fix anything I would like to "upgrade" to another brand. Unfortunately he said I would not be able to do this since these Grabbers were special ordered for me. I would have to buy another set entirely. Not gonna happen. Fortunately the vibration isn't harsh, I only see an issue on long road trips. Otherwise, they feel very good. If anything, hopefully they can isolate the bad tires and get replacement Grabbers for those. Also, I'll suggest rotating the tires 180 degs.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Trac_511

The tire store manager is trying to blow smoke up your tail pipe....Even if they are special order, if they are defective the need to be replaced even if it is with the same brand. If he rebalanced them, and the vibration still exists, he needs to find out which tire/s are bad and order new replacements from General Tire.

If he refused to do that, you have grounds to sue him in small claims court. I would also report him to the local Better Business bureau, and file a complaint with General Tire.

Good Luck, but don't let this small vibration go....based on my experience, it will only get worse.

...Rich

I won't be able to get replacements of another brand which I'm okay with, but replacement of the same brand is possible. The shop will try rebalancing again, and we'll go from there. Thanks for the replies.

Well after numerous ineffective rebalancing, the shop manager agreed to take the tires back for replacements of my choice...Michellin LTX MS2's. I just pay the difference of the tires which they're selling for $169 each and I believe there is currently a $70 rebate involved. Looking forward to these tires.

Latest posts