Valve Cover Gaskets

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
2008 V6. Valve covers seem to be leaking. It's been decades since I had to change those on anything. Any tips or tricks? TIA.

They suck a little on the Gen 2.... Whole intake must come off, EGR tube is always a rusted POS, and getting to the intake bolts sucks...

Check out some you tube vids.... I always google 2008 explorer ( same crap as the ST)

They suck a little on the Gen 2.... Whole intake must come off, EGR tube is always a rusted POS, and getting to the intake bolts sucks...

Check out some you tube vids.... I always google 2008 explorer ( same crap as the ST)

Thanks. Taking off the intake manifold sounds like it's beyond my skill level.

Check out the vids... Its not a huge pain..

I have one question about the Gen2 4.0L. Why did Ford switch back to the old overlaping upper plenum?
It was a problem for the drivers side valve cover on the 5.0L push rod motor also.
I dont see enough tq or hp diference from the Gen1 upper plenum...Correct me if I m wrong.
I thought that was the reason Ford changed the plenum. In mid 2001.

The old 5.0 upper cam e off in about 20 min.... Look at all these transverse motors today, complete intake jobs for stupid plugs !!! Some is design, Some is planned and other is cost.

The old 5.0 upper cam e off in about 20 min.... Look at all these transverse motors today, complete intake jobs for stupid plugs !!! Some is design, Some is planned and other is cost.
Ditto Todd, I some times have thought. They engineer a complication, as so some will give up on simple jobs. Hoping the owner will go back to the dealer for spark plugs. My X's V6 Escape, is one popular motor and the upper has to be removed. Just to check the rear coil connections.
Do you notice any performance difference an you Gen2 V6, from the Gen1 V6?

its just different is they only way i can put it.. The DBW and truck weight and gearing make it a different animal.... But I believe the Gen 2 is more but of the pants torqueier….. lol

Latest posts