Valve cover gasket / bolt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Hatch

Reaction score
Hi,

Have already tried once to replace the gasket on my 02 gen 2, only because I smelled oil and can see the leak..

The issue is that I need advice on how to get a stuck bolt out? It's on the drivers side, in the middle of the cover towards the ending side. A very tight place and I don't have many tools other than pliers and ratchet set. I don't have deep sockets in 6 or 7mm to get on.

If you all could help me out with your infinite wisdom that would be great. Should I try to bend the annoying piece of metal off and then try with my small ratchet to get it out that way?

Have new replacement bolt in hand.. Cost me $12

Thanks,

James

Forget pawn shop. Just go to Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and buy single piece you need for the job. Search YouTube for DIY videos to help. Link below is for a Gen 1 but may be of use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

I can get all the other bolts and such out, but this one is stuck in there, didn't know if you had any ideas on how to get it out. But since it is black Friday, maybe I will take a ride up to Harbor Freight and see if they got some SAE or Metric deep sockets.

Thanks

Buy METRIC tools, they're used on 99% of your ST. Also, extensions and a universal are required for certain jobs. Torque wrench highly recommended. Here's a LH valve cover pdf. GL

Last edited by a moderator:
Need proper tools, IF not let a mechanic do it.

Todd Z

Todd, sws; I ended up ordering a set of Stanley (SAE / Metric) Deep Sockets with a lifetime warranty. They work great on all the other studs.

However this one stud remains the problem. It seems to be slightly stripped, so if I were to take some paper and wrap it around the stud, then use the deep socket, would it fill up the space enough to hold while I turn to release it? I don't mean a whole sheet, just enough to go around the stud once or twice.

:banghead:

Todd, sws; I ended up ordering a set of Stanley (SAE / Metric) Deep Sockets with a lifetime warranty. They work great on all the other studs.

However this one stud remains the problem. It seems to be slightly stripped, so if I were to take some paper and wrap it around the stud, then use the deep socket, would it fill up the space enough to hold while I turn to release it? I don't mean a whole sheet, just enough to go around the stud once or twice.

:banghead:

You can try that, but it's paper between metal.

Are the sockets six or twelve point? If twelve point, try a six point.

P.S. Replace the stud.

Latest posts