V8 302 and the Gen 1 -pictures...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
Well in all my asking of questions and searching and prodding you guys for help I have given nothing in return. For this I am sorry. So here is where I am at...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Gen 1 job 2 V6 2wd -converted to- V8 AWD

Thank you guys for all your help... almost done:D

...I will have a project posted soon...:banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
you know how sexy that truck is now? oh i bet its gonna sound amazing! i can't wait to hear about you lighting up the tires

Man a couple of you guys have some serious 'nuts'. That's one heck of a project. I live in Lighthouse Point, can I go for a ride when it's done?

...sure I suppose... the car is at my uncles place in Sebastion Fl. I go to school at FAU (go owls) and will be back there come fall. ...maybe a FL sport trac meet is in order... I know I have heard members meeting up for this or that and now that I have something of note I will make more of an effort to make it.

once again thanks everyone for your help. this forum is awesome.

A 302 fits? Impossible. SO MANY know-it-all's said it was impossible. A V8 just wouldn't fit and low and behold, it does fit.

Tom

-Yes that part works well... just get motor mounts transmission + mounts and accessory brackets for v8 explorer and you are good to go. however there is some wiring to attend to... Tomorrow I will take some new pictures these are about a week old. I started the motor on Tuesday so my wiring is mostly good. The Vacuum lines are a different story... I have the diagrams but I don't know on the upper intake which tube is for what purpose... anyone know where I can get this info?

Don't want to jinx it but... this much is true:

V8 Gen 1 is possible

2wd to 4wd conversion is possible

:D

I have the diagrams but I don't know on the upper intake which tube is for what purpose... anyone know where I can get this info?

Do you have an original Ford repair manual? What year is your engine you are installing?

Tom

Thanks for the pics... I am so happy to finally prove all the naysayers WRONG!!! I knew a 5.0 would drop right in... Good luck getting it all buttoned up, that is my next project once I save up some more $$$$$. My SAS project ate a little more cash than I expected.:huh:

SWEET man !!!!

I wounder how that Humble pie is tasting for the nay sayers !!!!

ALSO your KILLING me that it is an estate green ST also !!!!!!

YOU STINK !!!!! :eek::lol::lol::lol:

Todd Z

ah man thats incredible. great work!!

I wouldn't mind swapping out my engine after it "goes to a better place."

I couldn't help but laugh at this:

Dam, all you Gen 1 folks, "Could of had a V-8"

-to Caymem: The engine is now equivalent to a 2000 explorer and I am using a online service to acquire diagrams (alldattadiy.com). I was unable to get a hold of the actual ford manual.

-to Todd Z: damn right! I am going to call it the "MEAN GREEN sport trac'n machine". green is probably the best color ever. :p

Looks great so far Don!:cool: I always figured that this could be done, given the fact the chassis upon which the Gen 1 ST is based (98-01 Explorer) offered a V8 and AWD as options.;)

Are you documenting this process for a project, or at least some sort of record on how it can be done? I'm sure many here (including myself) would be interested in this.:banana:

This is what all the paint is for... I want my V8 swap to be unique but I fully intend to share exactly how it can be done and what I have learned. who ever wants to join the v8 club deserves it... I just can't believe that I really could be the first one to do a V8 302 to the gen 1 sport trac. I saw record on the internet of some one else putting a Chevrolet motor in a sport trac and lots of ranger v8 swaps but no v8 gen 1... :D

WOW... SICK... Thanks for posting the pics... You gotta come out to a South Florida Meet with that ride... I'm sure we all want to check it out.

Now this is a good news / bad news scenerio for me. Good news because we've always wanted to put a 302 in my truck. Bad news because now that we know it can be done, and we'll have someone to pester for help, there is a very good chance that my truck will be laid up for an extended period of time in the next year or so. Oh well, it'll give me a good excuse to drive the hubby's bronco! I can't wait to hear my truck with a sound that only a V8 can produce.

OK...I've changed my mind, this really is just good news. :banana: