Used Sport Trac?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Shiver

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I currently have a 95 F150 Inline 6, and I would like to upgrade to a 2002-2004 Sport Trac for more room and better gas mileage.

Are there any known problems with these trucks or things I should look for?

If you want a gen 1 body style. Look for a '04 or '05. Alot of the bugs were worked out by then. I have an '04 since june of '04. Never been in for warranty work.

Rodger, my guess is he has the 4.9L inline six. Most of them only get 9 to 10 mpg in town. A friend of mine had one. In perfect tune, no cargo and driving like he was carrying glass. The best he ever got on the highway was 14.

I have an 2002.

There's nothing wrong with it now.

It's never been in the shop since in was new.

39k miles. :wub:

[Broken External Image]:

Ummm...you're the only owner of the 2002 trac and she only has 39,000 miles?

I got my trac last may at 75,000 and I'm almost at 93,000.

I'm just guessing that you have another car? (lucky)

My father believes that he drives a lot--I'm not so sure about it--but he has 160,000+K on his 2002 odyssey, of which he has been the only owner. Since there's a 120,000 mile deficit, I'm betting on the not-daily-driver idea.

39,000....that's essentially still new. gotta break her in. 4/gal is not an excuse lol, feeding myself costs more :) , and it's harder for me to afford to feed mahself without first feeding my trac.

I have had my 2003 for two weeks (78K). I risked buying it after seeing that 2003 was the most reliable year according to Consumer Reports and it is in their recommended used car to purchase list.

The other years are listed as better reliablility than average so you cannot go wrong as long as it was well cared for.

Mines a '02 that I bought in '05. So far, it's been trouble-free....except for problems I made while modding it of course[Broken External Image]:

From my readings on this forum, the biggest potential problem these trucks encounter are with the transmission. Search this forum for the word flare and you'll see what I mean. I've owned an 02 2WD with 52,000 for about a year now and have no major problems. There's also a very common but easily fixed elbow hose that fails. Also, UHaul will not rent to Sport Trac drivers.

yea well i have an '04 sport trac it was actually bought as the '05's were about to come out and i has close to 147.000 miles on it and it hasn't had any problems yett

I'd get an 02 if I was you. More HP, better MPG, better handling and much better looking then later years.

I'd get an 02 if I was you. More HP, better MPG, better handling and much better looking then later years.

Ummm???? What are you talking about? HP, MPG and looks and handling are all the same for 01-05.

I think the 02 has less powah then the 07+, but having an 02 myself, I know she looks better than the 07 lame design. IMO, the handling is great, moreso with new shocks.

Maybe better handling also could be taken to mean that the 02 model is the last with rear drum brakes, meaning an emergency brake which actually does something, which is always fun on dirt and gravel, though I am rather hesitant to try anything on the road after seeing the performance on loose gravel :(

(my idea has always been a "handbrake" turn with the ST, but considering the size I don't think it would work well on roads, and seeing the crappy results on gravel with the nasty going-to-roll feeling when you go faster for better results, I think it may just be a pipe dream....and I can't bring myself to risk destroying my trac to try :( )

lol, Tangent over.

The disk brakes are far superior than the drum brakes in every way. The little drum in the hat of the rear rotor will lock the tires up.

Tom

The baby drum can't be as an effective of an ebrake as 2 full drums...if it is, then the original full drum brakes were poorly designed, to say the least.

I have to give drums some props, as I have them ;)

Latest posts