use of E85

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep and I do use it at every fill up. Even if it was the same price or slightly more. Why not use something where 85% of it is renewed every year??

And I decided not to purchase an '07 ST because it's not a flex fuel vehicle :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to use E-85 when it is available. I usually fuel up at a Mobil station on Rolla. MO on my trips to KY. This trip the price was crazy. They were selling E-85 at $3.35/gallon and regular gasoline at $2.79/gal. :eek:

I think there is something corrupt going on with this whole E-85 deal. How can rotten corn cost so much? Plus, the federal government is subsidizing the production of E-85 as part of the recent Energy bill. :angry:

I saw that too. A gas station in St.Charles, MO is charging more for E85 then Premium fuel. And you cannot use your gas credit card (Mobil card) to pay for it.

There is an Ethanol shortage in the US right now, largely because of inadequat distribution systems and an increased demand in the Northeast (mostly) as MBTE has been outlawed as the clean-air additive, and replaced with Ethanol.

We are several years away from a good, nationwide distribution system that would get more Ethanol to more parts of the US.

TJR

Tocho, I have heard reports of about 15 to 20% reduced fuel efficiency with E-85, but since I don't have E-85 around me, that's just second-hand info.

re: use of E85 by NelsonOKC,6/13/2006 07:59 CT

I try to use E-85 when it is available. I usually fuel up at a Mobil station on Rolla. MO on my trips to KY. This trip the price was crazy. They were selling E-85 at $3.35/gallon and regular gasoline at $2.79/gal.

I think there is something corrupt going on with this whole E-85 deal. How can rotten corn cost so much? Plus, the federal government is subsidizing the production of E-85 as part of the recent Energy bill.

Nelson, Missouri state employees are REQUIRED to use E85 in state vehicles that can take it. Even though E-85 costs more and gives less fuel economy, it seems that E85 has become yet another means to subsidize the powerful Farm Lobby with tax money. Even though there are only a handful of gas stations in Missouri that sell E-85, most are owned by the same person/company, and state government is required to buy E85. That should tell you something there...

Testing it right now.

It is 30 cents cheaper than reg gas here.

I did one test of 100 miles I got 15mpg which is what I always get.

Still working on my tankfull and plan on trying at least 3 tanks full to see how it does.

E85 is 40 cents a gallon cheaper than gasoline currently here in MN. I wish I had a flex fuel vehicle to give it a try.

As far as the price is concerned, don't blame subsidies or the economy--like everything, the price supply and demand. Those areas with higher prices on it generally have lower supply (inadequate transportation infrastructure), and/or higher demand (driven by law changes and by increased public awareness/interest).

Most of the federal subsidies are actually going toward assisting with setting up the processing plants and transportation infrastructure, to help eliminate those items as price drivers.

E-85 averages about 20% less MPG than covnetional gasoline. Economically, E-85 would need to sell for about 20% cheaper to offset the reduction in fuel economy over gasoline.

If you are more interested in avoiding paying for imported oil, then cost would not be a factor.

In my case, I do not have a flex-fuel engine, so I cannot use E-85 even if I wanted to, and where I live I have not seen it for sale anywhere?

...Rich

Latest posts