Upgraded Coil Pack Question.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry Suarez

Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded their coil packs (either Sultans or MSD's) and regapped their spark plugs or changed to a different model of spark plug. They recommend that you can do this, but I was just wondering if anyone, especially with a V8, has done this and what was the result.

I did the SOS cops. 0 performance gain or change for that matter. Perhaps it was because I had so many other mods that the law of diminished returned was already smacking them down.

To me, they looked exactly like the OEM coil. I mean ... exactly like them. I also found their customer service to be vague and generic. The best part of the whole purchase experiance was ToddZ!

I did not re-gap or change my spark plugs. After several emails and a few phone calls...maybe a little prodding...They did say that their wouldn't be much, if any changes without re-gapping.

The OEM units are good for a bit over 600hp.

The $3XX price tag would be better spent on dyno tuning or something of that nature.

Warpdspazm has these coils. I wonder if they made a difference for him or if he gapped the plugs. He has every mod I had I'm pretty sure. Literally :)

I ordered a set of Granettelli "Hot Street" coils from Jegs. These are 45,000 volt coils and have been in the truck for about a year. One went out on Tuesday morning and the dealer replaced it with a stock unit to get me down the road. Any noticable difference? A small increase in fuel economy and a very smooth idle. Thats about it. Is it worth it? Well, you can get coils in many different colors! Mine are red, thats about the only cool thing about them. If in your mind it will make a difference, then go ahead and get a set. The difference is so small that a dyno would be the only way to quantify if there is an improvement. JMO, Bob

Its very difficult to gap the Ford plugs as the ground is in a "U" shape around the electrode. I've heard they can be, but it takes some kind of tool to do it. Also I think the gap is like .042" or something which is enough to allow a bigger spark. But no, I didn't regap them. Bob

You can replace the coils until you are blue in the face but the fact remains that the pcm still controls the coil operation and unless you change that all coils will perform about the same with the exception that aftermarket coils seem to burn out alot faster. One thing you have to remember is that the coil does not dictate the voltage required to fire the plug, cylinder pressure and plug gap does that.

Yes, I have been running the Sultans of Spark coils from PD in my 2010 for about 9 months now. no issues to date...

But I will say and tell all my customers, I ONLY noticed a smoother acceleration, you will gain NOTHING, No MPG, no HP..... I have dynoed them my self.....

I use and Dyno everything.

I have a set of Test coils here, they require the use of your OEM boots and internal spring, and they have no stickers on them.

I would sell these if you wanted to run them, Or pay shipping and a deposit and you can borrow them to see how your truck reacts with them.

Todd Z

the coil does not dictate the voltage required to fire the plug, cylinder pressure and plug gap does that.

I was thinking the same yesterday. Im glad Scott posted it.

The only time my old hotrod buddies seen a dyno difference. Was in the old days before modern DIS, systems. The most difference was seen when they ran a huffer.

Before COP. I still beleive in low resistance spiral core wires. Over oem filament type. Thats just me.

LiTech.. your exactly correct... glad someone brought that fact of the actual operation of how a coil's voltage works...

as to HOW it knows the factors.. I dont have a clue... never could wrap my brain around that part.

Brian B

:eek:fftopic:Yup.. I have almost all Carey's pre-blower mods... Have the ZTB, K&N FIPK and SOS Coil pack on the truck right now with a tune from Torrie... Have to get the Steeda UDPs on stil.. just been too cold... I did not do any before/after testing on each mod... I was having a rough time with the tunes and spent the better part of a weekend frustrated.

:back2topic:

Agree with Tood and others on the COPs. Probably could have used the money on something else... Like dyno tuning with my other mods instead of tune by mail.