Upgading '08 Adrenalin

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As of last week I have given away my 98 Ranger (bought new) and got my first Sport Trac, a super clean all-stock silver 2008 V8 Adrenalin with 31k miles. I am really enjoying the ride, the leather, the space, and all the doo-dads. It rides better and maybe even quieter than my wife 2012 Audi Q5. However, I'm pretty sure there is a little more pizzazz under the hood and I've got a few questions for the informed group here before I go upgrading.

I thought I read somewhere that the Adrenalin pkg is only cosmetic, no performance enhancements. Is this true? The handling is much better than the 2008 Limited I drove, the throttle response seems better, and the exhaust note definitely nicer but still pretty quite. The only change I see is a stock replacement K&N air filter.

The plan was to do upgrades (cold air, TB, exhaust) based on the STA being the same as an ST under the bonnet. (BTW, I just figured out what ST and STA stand for) javascript:insertAtCursor(document.forms['MESSAGEFORM'].MESSAGE,':driving:')

Thanks Mike

The 08 is a different beast then the previous years and the 2010 handels even better !!!

YES !!! do the intake, Exhaust, Throttle body, Under drive pulleys and a XCAL computer tuner !! you will wake the truck up !!!!

good luck with it and welcome !!!

Todd Z

Yes, cosmetic only...but there are so few of them around you will stand out!

Todd Z - please explain what value the Underdrive Pulley replacement offers. Nice write up but most of us non-auto geeks have no idea what that means to replace that pulley. Can you offer what that does and is it really worth all the trouble as I would never attempt that based on the details in the project section but I might find a mechanic that would if I can evaluate the value.

Heyward,

The uderdrive pully set. Slows your belt driven accesories down. In turn that causes less parrsitic drag. Worth some HP/TQ.

I have them on my '04.I could feel the difference. Recently I helped a member with a gen2, install his on an '07. He said, he can really tell the difference.

Or you can flip to the other end of the spectrum Doube the Factory FlyWheel HP - Blown, Dropped, Tuned, and Tricked, yet still a daiily driver that scores 14-15 mpg

So basically what works and fits on the regular V8 will do so on the Adrenalin. I do plan on all the stuff Todd Z mentioned but I didn't know about the pulley change. I don't want to go overboard with the HP as I hope to retain the current mpg if I can. This truck may be our long distance vehicle.

Not being "auto geek" like Heyward I'm unclear on the dimensions needed when I'm looking at different products online. The one thing I will be getting is the Zabteck TB, and now the under-drive pulley also. I'm looking at the K&N cold air intake but don't know what fits correctly under the hood and if it will match the TB. Same with the exhaust, leaning toward Magnaflow but is it bolt on, or need a bigger pipe, and is there a kit or do it piece-meal. And maybe a freeflow cat. Thoughts???? Like I said, I don't know much about this.

Mike

Latest posts