Update on new Firestones

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackson Ellis

Reaction score
The reminder: I put new Firestone Destination LE 2's on my 2010 Limited ST.

The update: fantastic tires. I've got some Interstate miles on them now, with and without hauling a trailer, on dry and wet roads. Plus I read through the comments on the other thread. I have no noise issues (which is a big tire pet peeve), the handling, ride, and tracking are great, and they look great. Some commented on them being highway tires. This site has STs with everything from Mickey Thompsons to Pirellis, and that's what makes the ST world go 'round. I have 18 inch wheels on a limited ST, so they (being all-season, M&S) are just what I wanted.

I saw a comment on a bouncy ride. I don't have that issue. Could have been high air pressure? Tire shops and oil change shops are notorious for pumping 40 pounds in there which will make you think you're riding on super balls. The tire shop had 40 - 42 in mine, and I dropped them to 32 in the parking lot before I left. Also, the Destination LE 2 is a fairly new tire, replacing the LE's without a 2. There's also a couple other Destination models, AT and something else. The 2 is designed for a car-like ride in your SUV or cross-over.

So, I now have to wait to see how they wear. I'll also update if I get them muddy, but that's not a goal of mine right now! If they give me any trouble on the boat ramp, I'll bring that up too.

I went back to same shop and had Destination LE 2's put on my wife's QX-56 (the beast). It has 18 inch wheels too, but the tires are a lot bigger; for some reason, the price was lower??!. More popular size I guess. She travels a good bit, and has more miles on hers that I do. But she forgot to notice how they rode on most occasions. I stressed to her the importance of feedback for me, so she gave me a complete review after driving to Virginia and back (from SC). "They're OK I guess, I didn't notice anything wrong." So there you have it....

Good initial review.:supercool:

I found out. My freind that has the noisey LE's on his mazda tribute. They are not the LE2. Just the LE. Probably what was left on the shelf. Im going to tell him what you said, about the LE2. Maybe firestone will do something for him. They only have a few k miles on them.

Sounds as if the LE2 was designed to be more of a touring tire. Touring tires usually are bettter riding in any brand.

I'm very happy with my Destination A/T's. On the second set now. I would get LE's but I need to get around in snow and the LE tread looks similar to the OE Goodyears that were awful in snow.

Probably a good assessment. I haven't driven "in" snow in years. We had a good covering that cancelled school for a day about three years ago, but it was off the roads by noon.

They are decent tires and look great but they flat spot terrible in the 275/55/20 size - sitting for a few days at a time makes it pretty shaky for the first 2-4 miles then it smooths out good as new - Firestone said this was normal but I don't like it - my next set will be different -

A lot of tires (OEM, especially) are very quiet the first half of their treadlife, but they get very noisy and horrible handling the second half.

My second set of Firestones seem to be lasting a lot longer than the first set. Identical tires. I don't know why.

My OEM Michelin Cross-Terrains on my '10 Trac are way outlasting the OEM Michelin Cross-Terrains that were on my '07 Trac. I am convinced the older tires had a much softer compound. They are still crappy tires, however, and I cannot wait to get rid of them.

I have always thought that they make the OE tires cheaper and even if you buy the exact same tire later, it will be better than what came on your vehicle new. Just my conspiracy theory. :eek:fftopic: