UPDATE ON BRAKe SQUEAL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary L

Reaction score
Well most of u guys read my thread about my front brakes squealing, after the dealer replace them... and after 3 attemp and no resolved, they replace my ROTORS and the same problem . Well last Sat i went up there and had out with the service manager in a respectful manner:angry: and after driving around the parking lot with the Tech he decide that he's going to order a special typed of pad for it.... that is call BROWN BOX PAD

And they'll be in on tuesday. So i took it in on tuesday morning and this is the second day, and so far they're not squealing.... and normal the would have been squealing by the time i get home from the dealer on tuesday. So for my fellow STERS u might want to keep it mine about these pad... just in case u ever have the same problem on your ST:);)

A little dab'll do ya! (really, use a bunch)

[Broken External Image]:

The "brown box pads" he is talking about are ford OEM pad, Not the grey boxed Motorcraft pads. YES, they are different... Even the dealers use lower quality parts... Unless there is a warranty issue.... then they use the ford OEM... Thats why they have to order them.. they stock the motorcraft stuff...

Todd Z

Hey Todd I have to admit that I'm rather shocked if that's true. I've always assumed that part of the reason dealers charge more for service is because they were using high quality OEM parts. But if the Motorcraft parts aren't quite as good as OEM parts I'm starting to wonder why have anything done at the dealership.

I used to work as a tech in a stealership. They ALWAYS use the cheapest stuff they can. Well, the one I worked at did anyway.

That's good to know. I have 30K miles on my 04 and still have 1/4" thick on all OEM pads. Checked them all last Sat when I rotated tires. Will probably get 50K on them before replacement. When That time comes might consider OEM pads since they've been flawless so far.

I have many connections at several ford dealerships, and some others as well. IF you buy your brake pads from the dealer, the rear motorcraft pads are about 40 bucks, the Ford oem pads are close to 80!!...the motorcraft they always have in stock and the oem ones they normally have to order..

Todd Z

Todd,

So when ordering parts like brakes from the dealership how I can be sure I'm getting the OEM stuff and not Motorcraft parts? Is there some way to tell them apart or will the OEM stuff say Ford instead of Motorcraft?

yes, the oem ones will be in a brown box with the ford logo on them, and the motorcraft ones will be in a grey and red lettered box that says motorcraft on it..:rolleyes:

Todd Z

Well i was told by the service manager that.. he buys Brake Pads from Motor Craft and from Ford. And that Ford Pads comes in a Brown Box and Motor Craft comes in a Red Box..

But for some reason they're having problem with some of the Motor craft pad ....So bascally The 're the same pads except they cost 40.00 more for the Brown box Pads, which to me seem to me that they are better Becasue they're both Metallic Pads

Star HUH :huh::huh: I think thats what i said??...:unsure::unsure:

Beleive me they are different parts in the boxes.:D

Todd Z

Went thru the same thing with my '02 ST -- had numerous disucssions with the service manager and he finally told me the only way to eliminate it was to go with ceramic pads -- bought and installed a set -- BINGO -- no squeal -- no dust -- and they grab a lot better than the OEM pads..

Latest posts