Universal remotes for Home Theater/AV systems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that's the site I was thinking of. Even if you want to photoshop them yourself, those can make some decent starting points. It's a shame that the resolution of each icon is so limited.

I also wish you could use those icons for radio stations, not just TV stations...

Harmony update!! The Harmony remote can control a ROOMBA!!!! lol

I had that thing dancin all over the house ;0 :) Following the cats and dogs

can i set an automated schedule?

:cool:

for those of you that don't know you can get a remote dimmer switch made by lutron and have the harmony control that too. When I push play on my dvd activity with my harmony my lights dim, when I push pause they come back up its great.

I can control my xbox, dvd, media center, tv, reciever, lights, and roomba all from one remote.

SOOOOoo Lazy.

Bumpity, bump...

Trac, I looked at the 550, but liked the sweetness of the color LCD that the 880 gave, and the price wasn't that different.

What other kewl stuff have you all done with your Harmony remotes?

TJR

Bill, that's usually an RF frequency. The remote does IR (the new Harmony 890 does RF but I think it just sends an RF Signal to an IR repeater that points at the IR receiver. Basically it would allow you to be anywhere in the house and control stuff.

I have been able to get my 880 set up to where it controls people.

For example, anytime I use the 880, my wife's "nag" feature turns on, at high volume. But I still haven't been able to figure out how to disable this.

:lol:

BUMP...

Had an issue with my Harmony 880 today.

Some of the buttons were all messed up: "Activities" sent the "7" key, "Off" didn't work, etc. Reprogramming didn't solve the issue. The battery read fully charged.

After some Googling I tried a cold restart as suggested by others. It fixed the problem. Though reprogramming says it is "rebooting" the remote, it isn't a cold boot. To get that you have to:

1. Take out the lithium battery.

2. Plug the remote into a USB port on the computer for a few moments, get it through it's test phase and to the point it tells you the battery needs charging (ah, funny).

3. Unplug from the USB, put back in the battery, let it restart, test, etc.

It fixed my problem. It's been almost two years glitch-free with the 880. I assumed my battery was starting to go. I'll watch it closely. Can't live without the all-in-one remote.

TJR

What do you plan to do when the battery goes? Lately I've been having problems with my charger, and e-mails to Logitech tell me to "jiggle it until it seats correctly" but I shouldn't have to "jiggle" a $250 remote. I know how to do it just fine, and though it's inconvenient at times, my girlfriend or other people with the remote can't do it just right and it will die.

Jeff C,

Logitech sells a replacement battery for $30.

As I googled I found lots of complaints about the charging cradle not making good contact with the remote and therefore recharging being spotty. Some of the advice given included shimming the cradle with some folded paper taped in place to help force the remote into the right spot. Myself, if I had that problem I would probably use black electrical tape.

P.S. I see that I have only had the remote about 14 1/2 months, not the almost 2 years I said before.

Jeff, although I wouldn't actually "recommend" it, a friend of mine had that exact issue, and to fix it, they just bought a new one at Best Buy, then returned the malfuctioning one in the new one's packaging...

Try using a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on the battery and the charger. If this doesn't work, you might want to replace the battery...

Mine has always been a little finnicky since day one. If you don't sit it down just right it doesn't charge, and occasionally you have to wiggle it a little. I only have to charge it about once a week though, so it doesn't really bother me. Maybe you guys are watching too much TV! :p

I have read about paper and other fixes, but the point is that I shouldn't have to do that with something with that high of a retail cost. And I don't think the return thing would work, since mine is quite old by now. I guess I've found my project for the afternoon...