U.S. Census Bureau

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf Wilder

Reaction score
I went to pick up my bass boat yesterday..had it clear coated..when I got home the people down the road came over and said the U.S. Census Bureau had been here blowing the horn...I have a fenced in..locked property with guard dogs..

They said that the U.S. Census Bureau was going around getting a GPS fix on the entrances to each house...and asking alot of questions...

I'm guessing they settled for a GPS fix on my driveway instead..

They said they were doing this all across the country..

Anyone run across this yet? Any ideas why the gov't needs a GPS fix on the entrance to our houses?

Nothing to see here, citizen. Move along.

Seriously though, I'm guessing so they have evidence of the census worker actually visiting your location...?

Getting a gps fix on the front door of each and every americans home...no thank you. I don't like answering their questions in the first place. IMO it's really none of their business.

"I'm from the government and I am here to help."

It's probably for the FEMA Emergency Action program. I've read that they have been trying to get a better idea on population density, housing density and elevations for emergency situations (tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, weather events and "manmade disasters" that used to be known as Terrorism...).

Here's a link to what's going on... I'm not sure I like it either, but your property is recorded at the local auditors office anyway, usually by lot number, or possibly by a meets and bounds survey.

A guy was in our neighborhood last Saturday. Same thing, GPS. Funny thing, he didn't ask me how many people lived in our house. Isn't that the point of the census, to count how many people are in the country?

I worked for the Census for the past three census cycles. The primary difference in this cycle is that it will be the first high-tech census. The GPS fixes supercedes the inaccurate past method of locating living quarters by written descriptions. The other procedures are essentially unchanged from past census cycles.

The census workers have very specific rules they are required to follow. It's best to just answer their questions. If you don't, then you end up getting additional visits from crew leaders, area supervisors, district supervisors, and so on. If you still refuse to answer their questions, you will eventually be labelled as a "hostile," which allows the census to use any other means necessary to answer their questions, which includes visiting county recordkeepers, the police, the post office, relatives, and neighbors.

Wow...labelled as a hostile..

Ive been called worse I suppose..:D

I wasnt here so I didnt get a chance to answer anything..up until now I didnt know whether I liked it or not..

Now I know I dont like it..:lol:

But thanks for the explanation..

Anyone run across this yet? Any ideas why the gov't needs a GPS fix on the entrance to our houses?

Yup. Know all about it. My wife is doing it this year. Right now, they are building maps and GPS points to be as accurate as they can be. Many houses have been built in the past 10 years. They are making sure they get everyone.

I don't like answering their questions in the first place. IMO it's really none of their business.

Actually every 10 years, it is their business. It is in the constitution that the government is required to do it. The US Constitution mandates it.

A guy was in our neighborhood last Saturday. Same thing, GPS. Funny thing, he didn't ask me how many people lived in our house. Isn't that the point of the census, to count how many people are in the country?

The first Census was in 1790. Then it is every 10 years after that. It is only 2009. The Census will happen in 2010.

Workers are only confirming addresses and locations of houses and any possible dwellings.

Tom

Thanks for the heads up.

This way, I won't be shooting the guy climbing over my security gate with the determined look on his face and a GPS in hand. :lol:

Question--What ID do/did they have? And how is Joe Q. Citizen supposed to know whether that ID is legitimate?

They have an ID Card around their necks and they carry a bag with the words "US Census Bureau".

Also, at this time, they will not be asking you any personal information. The Census is in 2010, this year is 2009. If you speak to them, they will be giving you a piece of paper explaining to you what they are doing.

At this time, the Census wrkers are ONLY confirming addresses. They are making sure that any houses that no longer exist are not included and make sure they include houses built since the 2000 Census. They are also building maps with the GPS's they carry.

Tom

From what I was told..it is a plastic ID badge on a rope around their necks...no picture but I think they said the person's name was on the badge..along with Dept. Of Commerce and Census Bureau..

According to these people they were asking plenty of questions and writing stuff down...but maybe this person was just doing more than asked to do..

I spoke to a few people when I was in town this morning and get varying descriptions..just the front door...all doors...no questions asked..alot of questions asked..

I miss all the fun..:D

I dunno--sounds like an easy way for a criminal to get a lot of info and access..

I know what you mean...it made the hinky meter go off when I heard about it..

But it is real...and it is happening...they have like a whole army of them swarming the country..

From what I gather..if you aint home..they just get the GPS fix on your doorsteps and move on...

I figure they'll show out here again sooner or later...but it being bass fishing season they will likely not find me again..and I've instructed the dogs not to tell them anything..:D

I was going to help out with the census and took the test. I even passed it. lol

I guess they didn't want me when my name matched a name on the federal felon list. lol

I even sent in fingerprints to prove I wasn't that guy (whoever he is), but never heard back.

I must be an "undesirable" legal alien. Wooooo! LOL ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts