Two unique questions on 01 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney Leary

Reaction score
#1. The lock on my driver side door doesn't work well. The door opens easily when unlocked. But if I lock it and try to unlock (with FOB, door keypad, or a key) the lock stub doesn't come up all the way (just slightly). I can help it by "jiggling" the key to the right and it will work it's way up. Then I can open the door.

From what I've researched it could be a bad lock actuator? Im pulling the panel this weekend to take a peek with my own eyes.

#2. The lights on my instrument panel and temp control panel are not working. All other non-gauge lights on the dash work fine (like the seat belt like and theft light). I have checked the fuse box, no issues there. Don't think it's bad bulbs because it's the whole panel out.

From what I've researched, it sounds like a bad dimmer switch. But the switch WILL turn off and on my overhead lights, but no matter the position of the switch, I never get the dash lights.

Anyone ever have this issue before?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The dimmer is a resistor like part of the switch (it is a resistive strip that the contact runs across) and the last part of the dimmer (as you fell it kinda click) is a solid contact (two actual contact touching). So it is possible the resistive strip has broken, giving no contact to the switch untill the switch part of the cotact touches.....Sorry, kinda hard to explain without pictures. Long story short, it would be possible that your overhead light would be turned on without the dimmer working.

Denisb

Thanks Denis, I will try to pull out the dash this weekend too and take a look at the switch. I have read reports of the wires melting in them and causing a similar issue to mine.

Rodney,

Is the exterior door handle loose on your truck? This is the issue with mine.

If I push against the handle, (Somewhat hard) I can unlock it with the fob.

I have been told the handle needs to be replaced, but I am waiting for warmer weather.

Dave, Yes the handle is slightly loose. It has much less resistance than my other handles for the first few inches of lifting. I wonder how a loose door handle could affect the lock from rising up? I will test your method of pushing on the handle and attempting to unlock it. Hope this is the fix because I have fixed plenty of handles before and feel ok with the procedures.

Rodney

the problem you are experiencing with your door is a spring i believe. i had this issue on my 01 awhile back. it did the exact same things but it was quite awhile back that i dont recall well if the shop said it was the spring or not.

i had two burnt out bulbs in my instrument panel awhile back so i took apart the whole dash and panel. its quite easy just time consuming.

my dimmer switch is quite sensitive. even when its turned up to the brightest. sometimes my instrument lights go out so i have to tap it or mess with it till they come back on. i really think its the dimmer switch where your having your problems with. and the climate control is in relevance with your dimmer as well as your bulbs around your radio bezel

Bumping this to help others (Dave who might be replacing his door handle, don't do it!) with the door handle issue. It a bad spring! I found a write up on a another ford site that details it perfect with pictures too.

Symptoms: Door handle feel slightly loose. Lock will not rise with autolock feature. You may be able to get it to rise by applying pressure to the door handle when unlocking.

Fix: Disassemble inside door and find the spring that is either broken or over stretched, this spring is supposed to be holding one of the bars up. You may be able to reuse the spring if not too bad or buy a new one from hardware store and replace.

Link to a great post on the ford forum is included. The poster also has several pictures that helped me greatly.

(side note: the light issue was a iffy headlight switch. Jiggling the switch gets all the lights on.)