Tune-up time. Looking for recommendations/advice.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John A

Reaction score
Hello,

Getting ready to perform a Tuneup on my 2003 Sport Trac - 2WD. Item's I will be tackling: Spark Plugs + Wires, Distributor Cap, Fuel Filter, Tranny flush, Rear Axle flush. While at the Auto Shop I came across Irdium Spark Plugs, and after reading the spec's they sound like the next best thing, BUT could be all marketing or not worth it with our engines?

Reason for posting is, looking for you're opinions on the Iridium and/or best application to use from experience as I've read that the Platniums were not recommend on our vehicles.

More info on my vehicle:

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - 2WD, LSD...

80,000KMs

Looking forward to you're guidance.

The ST has no distributor cap...

Change the PCV also, Maybe the Serp belt, And coolant ???

Gimmick plugs are NOT good for the Sport trac..

The Sporttrac has platinum plugs from the factory, SO use OEM ford plugs Or I like Autolite APP103 plugs.

Don't forget the limited slip additive for the rear and that it is synthetic.,..

Todd Z

I'll add the PCV, take away the Cap :) Coolant was done not too long ago. Maybe Serp Belt...

Making sure to get the additive with Synthetic for the rear.

Thanks again Todd Z!!!

When doing the last plug on the passenger side remove the tire for easier access if that is at all possible. It will make your life sooooo much easier. Also check the projects section for more info and step by step instructions on changing the spark plugs and maybe some other things you may be tackling. Good luck!!!:cool:

10-4 Jason!

I got em all printed out... I'll pick up the parts this weekend, and if available install the drain plug on the tranny drop pan.

Thanks guys!