TSB front end vibration

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
Hi- I just joined this forum because i just bought a new 2005 ST 4x4 XLT and immed experienced a front end vibration. The selling Dealer checked the usual-wheel bal,driveline, yada yada- Finally replacing the drive shaft w/another oem steel drive shaft was supposed to be the cure-It wasn't! To make a long story short they did a TSB search today. The new TSB and cure is: A new warranteed aluminum driveshaft! I get it installed 10/11.Hope this helps you.. I'll keep you posted...PS this site rocks!

Welcome to the site, Jim. I'm a relatively recent addition to the group here too, and I agree... this site does rock.

Hope all works out well with the vibration.

Wasn't the aluminum driveshaft the original fix for the Trac? Make sure they replace the bolts with new one, per the TSB.

Tom

Jim, Welcome to the site, Glad to see another NY'er..

Hope this fixes it, But the drive shaft is normally for the rear vibration, not the front...

You may have a bad tire....Not uncommon..

Todd Z

Hey Jim, was it the front or rear shaft? My 05 Trac has a driveline hum and vibration at higher speeds. The dealership balanced the rear and it's still there. Do you have a TSB #?

Dave, Its the rear ds. The dealer can look up the TSB-ask them. I don't have the number. They are going to do the aluminum ds install this friday. It will be interesting to see if that solves the steering wheel shake @ 50-85 +mph. I think its also tire related because the same oe Goodyear tires sucked on my previous 4 Explorers. Even if multiple balancing attempts would succeed, they would start shaking/vibrating soon again..I always kept an eye on rim runout-the aluminum rims bend easy on big pot holes etc Curb scrubbing will bend them!.... I don't have any driveline hum[?] ...Great truck otherwise-love it! .BTW I'm getting an average of about 16-17+ mpg w/ an open 4:10,

driving hard/ easy.

TSB

05-20-11 VIBRATION/MOAN DRIVING 75-80 MPH (121-129 KM/H) - 4X4 WITH 4.10 AXLE

Publication Date: October 3, 2005

FORD: 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac

ISSUE:

Some 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 vehicles equipped with a 4.10 axle ratio may exhibit a vibration/moan condition while driving 75-80 MPH (121-129 Km/h). This may be due to a driveline imbalance condition.

ACTION:

Install a new aluminum rear driveshaft with eight (8) new attaching bolts. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 205-01 for Removal And Installation Procedure.

NOTE: IF THE VIBRATION SPEED RANGE IS BELOW 75 MPH (121 KM/H) PERFORM NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS AND DO NOT PERFORM THIS TSB.

Latest posts