TSB for rattle under front while driving?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erv Metoxen

Reaction score
I found this TSB

2001 Sport Trac

Service Bullettin # 14467

NHTSA# 616555

some 4x4 exhibit rattle, ringing,rustle, metalic sounds while driving in 4x2 at highway speeds.

When I am driving from 30 to highway speeds I can hear a sound like large metal washers spinning on a bolt. I know it is not the timing chain issue because it is speed related not RPM related.

My question;

Does this TSB mean ford will fix it.

I own a 2001 4x4 with 53000 miles. No extended warranty.

Please help.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Ranger Erv

TSB's are ONLY required to be fixed by Ford for free if you are under the coverage of your warranty plan.

If you have a good dealer sometimes they will do the service for little to no charge but they are NOT required to do so.

A recall is different. If there is a recall then ford MUST fix the issue no matter the year or the mileage.

coasti i dont think that info is quite right . if you take your S/T to a dealer and tell them the problem you are having.IF there is a TSB they will fix it for free regardless of mileage

I agree with coaste a TSB is simply a tool to help a shop tech to increese his likelyness of quickly and properly diagnoseing common problems with vehichles. If ford decides the part is of sub par quality they will extend the warentee on that particular system, but I havent herd that that particular one has. How ever if your shop techs rely to much on them due to lack of experience and ability then they can still not properly fix the problem. I brought my trac in for this because of a fluttering rattle type sound when under acceleration and RPM's are between 2k and 2.5k. They called me that afternoon (after I had droped it off) and told my it was the timing chain problem and that they would call me the next day to come and get it once repairs were done. That evening I spoke with my service mgr. and he said he was sorry that it didnt fix the problem and that it would be longer they were digging deeper into the motor. Three days latter he called and said they were at a loss and that they were putting a new motor in because they couldnt figure it out. Two mor days and a call Mr. Clark your ST is ready come and get it. Got truck and guess what.... left dealership and on way home still makeing noise... I didnt take back (obviously they arnt able to fix) and have tried several other things myself (belts and belt tensioners ) next item is to investigate AC compressor. Truck runs good and love new motor for free but noise is still a nagging issue. I guss what im saying is dont be to quick to assume that a TSB with similar charistics is the unquestionable anwser. After you know what ass-u-me spells....;)

I just had the (00m22) recall done to my 2001 Sport Trac (51K miles). This extended warranty is for up to 72k miles on 2001 ST's. My rattle did not go away eigther. The dealer also wanted me to pay for them to dig deeper and find this 2k to 3k rattle. I feel that after 5 years and the many 4.0 motors in all the Explorers that someone had to find it and their would be a TBS. I thinking about buying a 2007 St but I'm afraid that it too will rattle!! Maybe Honda is the answer.

Only Recalls last forever, (and that is not even true, after a certain amount of time the manufacturer does not have to do the recall repair/fix).

TSB's are covered under your vehicle coverage. If you have extended coverage and the item is within the coverage plan you have then your good to go.

If not,,,,, your done unless the dealer is a nice guy...

Latest posts