Try This... It worked for me!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Barnes

Reaction score
Had an issue in my 2007 V8 with the check engine light coming on after being stuck in traffic for two hours going up the 6-7% grade to the Eisenhower Tunnel here in Colorado yesterday. Trac did not over heat, but the computer obviously was messed up as shifting was rough and out of sequence, etc. I disconnected the battery and shorted the terminals then after 20 minutes or so reconnected. Today, I drove to work (125 miles round trip) and mileage was up from 18.5 average to 20.5 average. I have not seen this mileage since last fall when the truck was almost new. I'm sure the computer reset did it. If my mileage falls off agin, I will reset again.

BTW, no more check engine light and shifting is back to normal.

MountainTrac

Mine is the LTD 4x4 with 41K miles. Driving across Wyoming last September, I got 24 MPG on one tank. Then over the winter it dropped off to 17-18 and back up in the spring to 18.5. Today 20.5...Big change.

When you say you Shorted the cables....you mean you touched them together right!?

isn't this the same thing as Dingo's "Tranny fix?" <---- Not x-rated :D

When you say you Shorted the cables....you mean you touched them together right!?

Yeah, that's what he meant.....this is what I did to 'fix' the issues I was having with mine.

I'm starting to think that many of the problems are moreso with the computer than the tranny and by resetting it, it fixes these issues.

So far, none of my issues have returned which it appears there was some computer glitch that was causing my problems. You'd think that if there was a tranny issue, after resetting the computer, the problems would still be there.

This also fixed a minor issue I was having with my A/C.

Speaking of the glitches, has anyone had the RSC/ABS come on simply driving down the road? It has happened to me about 5 times now.

isn't this the same thing as Dingo's "Tranny fix?" <---- Not x-rated

Hilarious!

Anyways, will be a temp fix. Think of it this way, you leave you windows PC on for 3 weeks then it starts to hicup and slow down. Power down and reboot. Problem gone. Same thing in this case. You drive it for 3 weeks and bango its back.

Pretty much the computer is relearning your driving habits.

Speaking of the glitches, has anyone had the RSC/ABS come on simply driving down the road? It has happened to me about 5 times now.

I had it come on last winter, but I was driving like a maniac down an ice-covered road and was sliding sideways toward the ditch.

I'm now on my fourth week and there have been no returning issues with mine.

As I posted on another thread someplace, my truck shifts better now than it did when I drove it off the lot with just 15 miles on it.

I think the key to this 'trick' is to drive it harder than you would for about a week or two while the computer relearns your driving style. After two weeks I started driving like an old man again to see if anything would start messing up again and there have been no issues so far.

Mine is the '07 V8 with the six speed tranny......so, not real sure how this fix has worked with the V6 & 5 speed models.

Also wanted to note.....I've never had any TSB's done on my truck, just this battery trick once.