True Cold Air intake Installed !!! (rough Install )

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul H

Reaction score
Roughed in my true cold air intake today. All I needed was a small piece of 3 inch intake tube with a small turn on it, a Spectra low profile filter and a hole saw to drill the hole.

Todd and I data logged the truck's intake temps before and after.

Out side temp 43 F

Before: Idle and taking off - 90-95 degrees F Cruising - 65-85

After: Idle and taking off - 70-80 degrees F Cruising - 50-55

The temps were more constant and there was not such a wide range between the two after the cold air......

This was well worth it and I am sure it will show some HP and slight MPG also....

Let me know what you think...

PLEASE remember this is the first rough install with used parts.

After some test driving I will finalize the install and write a project on it.

Thanks

Paul H

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Drew,

I don't think water is an issue by the way the inner fender well is overlapped by the steel fender and the fact that Paul's truck is 6 years old and has 100K miles on it and thats what the inside of his fender looks like... looked spotless.....

But even if some does get in there, a simple filter wrap will take care of that....

Todd Z

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I would consider doind it. What kind of gains would a stock engine with just a Flowmaster 40 single in dual out get if any?

Paul looks good,and it will make a difference, maybe small but it does help. My intake stays between -1 to 12 degree's intake air of the current temp, as compared to the digital temp in the top console. I noticed after putting on some miles that I had more seat of the pants passing power. You might add a little white vinyl or plastic over the hole, not only for asthetics, but to insure that you don't take in any air from the engine compartment. But I think you done good._Ron

Is there a point after changing the throttle body and doing this that there will be a starvation problem. Should there be an upgrade on the fuel pump to keep up?

Matt, Paul's truck is a NON tuned ST. he even laid down over 190RWHP on our Dyno day....

His AF ratio was even in the high 14's low 15's.....

I don't think any starving is happening here....

ALSO on my st I am able to run it as rich as 12.2 with no issues... The stock ST pump is a strong pump for all bolt ons and some internal mods...

ONCE you S/C or Turbo then you must get a better pump......

Todd Z

thanks everyone...... a little update: left todds house tonight and i took it easy going home to make sure the computer had enough time to really learn the new air, but i will tell you the throttle response is better and there is a lot less lag after sitting at a red light and then taking off. also i did get on it a little bit on a stretch of highway and the truck just pulled. its totally worth it in my opinion. future updates will follow. suppose to rain here tomorrow so i will feel inside the fender well to see if wet, my guess is that it will be dry. also todds house is around 20- 30 miles away i left with a 1/2 tank of gas and got home and the needle never moved. hopefully thats a good sign.

paul h:D:D:D

project coming soon to a sport trac site near you........

just waiting to see how everything runs and performs.

paul h:D:D

This sounds like it could be one of the most affordable and effective upgrades if you already have the regular aftermarket kit to modify which many do!!

Latest posts