Truck shaking a little while idling

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Pugh

Reaction score
So the truck started shaking about a month ago, idk where this came from, the car did start feeling funny as i accelerated, but that went away to my knowledge after i changed the oil, I have no warning lights or anything, I changed the oil, im thinking maybe its tune up time? Any help would be appreciated, Also when i start the car in the morning, when shifting to drive, it makes a kinda rough shift to it, but later on in the day it doesnt do it. Uhm also since i had it, when i first turn it on it makes this real rough noise, but this only happens like 1-2 times a month, i googled that and it said something about when someone floors the truck it can do that sometimes. and btw yes i do floor it. I try to be a less speedy driver but its hard breaking the habit.

Oh yeah btw, ever since i had it, it makes these squeaky noises when going over a bump, why does it do this?

did it start happening after a fill up? i've gotten a bad batch of gas before(water) which is very possible depending on where you are and how the weather has been. changed fuel filter cleaned injectors and plugs and that fixed it. wasn't a st but it may work for you. take it to your local big retail auto parts store they will hook it up to a scanner and tell you if there is any codes that didnt throw a light.

did it start happening after a fill up? i've gotten a bad batch of gas before(water) which is very possible depending on where you are and how the weather has been. changed fuel filter cleaned injectors and plugs and that fixed it. wasn't a st but it may work for you. take it to your local big retail auto parts store they will hook it up to a scanner and tell you if there is any codes that didnt throw a light.

Sounds like it's tune-up time to me. How many miles on this Trac? When was fuel filter last changed? How many miles on spark plugs? On this engine the IAC valve gets clogged and is easy to correct. Look in Projects section for how-to. As for the squeaking there's any number of reasons it could be - worn out bushings, shocks, ball joints to name a few. You'll need to get the car up and start looking.

Sounds like you bought a used truck with high miles and now are beating on it expecting it to hold up.....

Need complete tune up, Plugs, wires, filters ECT.

Noise is either ball joints, Body mount bushings or sway bar end links.

Todd Z

OP, not trying to discourage, and do applaud you for wanting to do repairs yourself.

Judging by your thread linked below, you have little or no experience with automotive service or repairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it's tune-up time to me. How many miles on this Trac? When was fuel filter last changed? How many miles on spark plugs? On this engine the IAC valve gets clogged and is easy to correct. Look in Projects section for how-to. As for the squeaking there's any number of reasons it could be - worn out bushings, shocks, ball joints to name a few. You'll need to get the car up and start looking.

I had the squeek over a bump issue last year. Crawl under it and look at the rear spring shackles. MINE WERE ALMOST TOTALLY GONE! They RUST out, allowing the rear leaf spring shackle to slide up and down, causing the squeek. I think they are like $20, but squeek like mad.

Latest posts