truck rolled back while in park

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Sayre

Reaction score
Just pulled in the driveway, put the truck in park, and started to get out. It started rolling backwards. Had to hop into the truck and slam on the brakes. Put the parking brake on, for safety. Anybody experience this, and if so what did you do to stop this? Thanks!

--Bob

Is it ever so slightly possible that you did not sit the gear shifter in the park position 100% and it popped out ???..... I have seen that a lot..

Todd Z

Todd has a point, I've done that myself, it appears to be in position and isn't all the way. Makes me more aware everytime I get in the truck.

It could be that it wasn't in park all the way. Scared the daylights out of me because my wife and 3 year old son was shoveling snow somewhere behind the truck at the time. It's also possible given the snow and slush that the truck just slid on the driveway I guess. It was just slush though, no slick ice or anything. Last night it was fine so maybe it was something like that. If it was the internal pawl, how expensive is that to replace? Can that be gotten to without a full tear-down?

Thanks!

--Bob

Bob_s2, I bet you were scared! I certainly was when it happened to me a couple of times :)

if it was not just an accident and it's more frequent maybe it could be the 'teeth' that keep the shifter in place in the steering column? or you might have tranny slippage and it needs tighteded up. those are the only things I can think of off hand.. (I don't know what that parts are actually called) but you get what I am saying I think.

The guys will know what I mean that know about trannys and the shifter in the column and should answer you soon.

prices depend on where you go and who is fixing it. I see you have an 04, that is what mine is as well.

Latest posts