truck noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffrey Field

Reaction score
I have an 08 sport trac and when I drive over like 40 mph it starts making a little noise in the front end and it gets louder when I am turning around bends I thought wheel bearings but don't the wheel come loose anyone have this problem before

Most probably wheel bearing, common problem, replaced drivers side on my 07 about a year ago. do a search on this site and read of many others.

If they told you "four wheel drive differential" ... run. It's a transfer case; I've not heard it called anything else.

What is "a little noise"? What type of noise?

Yard on the 4wd the front Diff can and will make that noise if a bearing in it goes bad.

It does sound like a front wheel bearing, My 2010 has a drivers side one going bad and a friends 2007 has the same noise.

I am going to diagnose further in the spring.

and the wheel does not have to be loose for the bearing to wear and have bad spot in it and make that noise.

Todd Z

Gavin, its on the list to check as yes that could also be it But its too Smooth of a growl, so more like a round bearing to me.

Todd Z

Just make sure if you do have new wheel bearings installed that the shop follows the installation procedure to a T. There have been lots of stories of replacement bearings only lasting a few thousand miles and I assume that is due to improper installation.

I had the identical symptoms on my '01. Turned out to be one of the front bearing races had a large pit in it about- 1/4" long. Made in China...

I had the identical symptoms on my '01. Turned out to be one of the front bearing races had a large pit in it about- 1/4" long. Made in China...

Latest posts