trouble shooting 'electronic starting problems'

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
Well once again i turn to the sport trac web site for trouble shooting. Alright I have the V8 in my gen 1 job 2 sport trac and am ready to start it except it won't. I have removed PATS and the pcm is issuing no Diagnostic trouble codes. when i turn the key the fuel pump kicks on and i can hear the ignition relay clicking but the starter solenoid is not clicking. I am hoping that the battery was just to low to do anything but I did install a remote switch to "jump" the positive lead on the start solenoid and it did click away. I am going to try again tomorrow with a charged battery but just in case what are some common problems or things I could test that would keep it from engaging the solenoid?

thank you

-Don D.

I did notice that the yellow green wire that goes to the starter solenoid seems to go to the ABS control module. I have not verified this yet in a diagram but dose that engage the starter?

never mind... i found the answer! the starter relay on the v6 gets its ground (switched) from the PCM while on the v8 its just a ground. i will just ground pin 44 (blue/orange) wire and hopefully we will have a running v8:D

CONGRATS MAN !!!!

WE need pics and a good old ton of information so others can do this !!!!! :banana::cool:

Todd Z

Latest posts