trouble installing factory subwoofer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Byington

Reaction score
I bought the factory subwoofer and wiring harness from another member on mysporttrac.com and printed out the project posted on the website this afternoon so that I could install it. I was all excited to work on my Trac when I realized the subwoofer is dead :angry:

When I plug the harness into the receiver behind the kickplate, nothing at all happens. The wire is a little frayed, but I messed with it when the radio was on and never got so much as static from the subwoofer. Am I forgetting to do anything, or did I get screwed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

[Broken External Image]:

You need a radio that has the 3rd out put on the back of it and then to plug the plug in the dash to the kickpanel plug...

What radio do you have?

Todd Z

Thanks for the response. I have the standard (not 6-disc) CD player on my 2001 Job2 ST. When I removed the kickplate on the front passenger side door, the harness (leading to the back of the radio I presume) was connected to a dummy harness as it said in the manual. I simply unplugged the dummy and plugged in the harness for the subwoofer expecting it to work and it didn't :angry:

Here are pictures of my radio and the back of the radio. I have installed the USA-Spec Ipod interface in the CD changer slot so that is the extra connection you see. Sorry for the bad quality, but I took the pictures with my phone...

Again, thanks for the help

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I think that one empty slot closest to your camera on the left is where the sub would plug in.... I can't recall exactly, but in my '01 (same radio) it had the spot for the plug, but there were no pins in it that would make the connection active.. You may need the 6 disc at a minimum to get it to work....

Yeah, Looks like your missing the output on the radio....

Believe it or not you need a radio with the sub outputs to hook up the factory sub,,, MOST of the single CD radios do NOT have it...

Todd Z

Latest posts