Trick shift trans fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Hovater

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried trick shift trans fluid? I have used it in my firebird and it was like adding a shift kit. Just wondering.... Take care yall.

It has more friction modifier in it than regular tranny fluid. I would be concerned about faster wear on the bands and clutches.

Not neccesary for our tracs. I dont know but it may not even have the right specs.

Also I used it in a torque-flite trans in street service back in the '70s. It destroyed the trans in 2000 miles. As Johnny said, too much friction modifier.

I agree with JohnnyO and Eddie. The Sport Trac transmissions are not beefy enough to handle those harder shifts. Trick Shift has been around a long time and worked fairly well on the older muscle car transmissions that were built to hand that kind of power...The Sport Trac transmission is not made from heavy duty parts and the harsh shifting will result in damage to the internal parts.

It might be OK for a street driven vehicle if you keep your foot out of the gas pedal and avoid those harsh shifts at full power....but then, what's the purpose for using Trick Shift?:grin:

...Rich

My 03 will bark the tires into 2nd with slight moisture on the ground.....

Don't waste your time with any other roil then the Merc -V...

Todd Z

Yes, the transmission shift pressure can be adjusted as well as a programmer can change the shift characteristics. All of those changes are withing the limits of the transmissions design parameters. When you add something like Trick Shift, you are forcing a sledge hammer solution on your transmission.

Remember that any snake oil product you pour into your transmission or engine is not a repair. It only masks the symptoms of a mechanical problem and that masking of symptoms is only temporary. These additives cannot fix the real problem and they will always come back to bite you very suddenly when you least expect it.

If your transmission or engine needs rebuilding, using these snake oil cures only buys you a little time and the problem will reappear and often with catastrophic failures. a $5 or $10 bottle of snake oil cannot fix a slipping transmission, leaking seals, or worn clutches and bands, it can only diminish the symptoms for a short period of time. Out of sight, out of mind

...Rich

Latest posts