Tree Trouble, what is this??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsha Walker

Reaction score
Any arborists out there? What is this? I know it is a maple tree but dont know the type. Is this a fungus? Is it fatal to the tree? It is on two limbs now that appear to be either dead or dying. This is a perfect example of a maple tree and we would hate to lose it. Thanks to for the help in advance. Marsha[Broken External Image]:

I'm not an arborist, but it looks like a fungus. It is hard to say whether the fungus came before or after the branch died. I would almost bet the limb died from that limb that was cut off on the far right edge of the picture. I'd have a tree expert cut off that limb and any others that have died. Large trees add a lot of value to your property, so an investment now will pay dividends later when you sell the house.

The limb that apears to have been cut off, has been gone for a long time. The limb that you see is also dead or near death. We dont know what to think. Thanks

Trim that limb and then trim out some of the thick growth of the tree. This will allow more sun light to enter into the tree which is the worst enemy of any fungus/moisture problem. Of course if you have the money you need to have this service performed by a professional. There is a fine line between thinning a tree and what they call 'hat racking' a tree.

[Broken External Image]:

Trees can survive extensive damage with proper care, as this article about the Oklahoma City Memorial "Survivor tree" describes (see link).

[Broken External Image]:

trees can survive but they suffer. you may think they are ok but it takes a large tree a few years to die. any soil compression from construction will certainly kill a tree-ie-new house construction. marsha-send the picture to your local cooperative extension. there may be a problem in your area-they will probably be able to help you.

I agree with the fungus idea. Right now it looks to be on the outside for the most part. I would get a pressure washer and blast it off and then see what happens. Worse case, cut the limb off before the tree itself gets the infection if it is beyond the bark.

I have several large maples in my yard and I have seen this same type of 'fungus" on some of the dead branches of the tree. It is probably just a part of the tree that is dying and not getting enough sun. But hey what do I know.

josey

Latest posts